First euro nymph rod

Jessed

Jessed

I was looking to buy my first euro nymph/ competition fly rod in the $300 range. I have been looking at syndicate fly rods, courtland comp rod, eco shadow 2 , hanak Czech nymph etc. I was hoping for some input on different models of rods you’ve fished and liked and what wt and length you would recommend. Thanks! Jesse

I bought a cortland 10.5 3 weight, and thats the only nymph specific rod i have experience with, and the reason why is because It does everything I want it to. Will cast long leaders and heavy nymphs, a 3 or 4 weight line and dry fly, beautiful tippet protection, perfect hand balance. I couldnt ask for anything more from a rod, especially for 250 bucks. Its the only rod I use, even when I plan on throwing dries all evening

I use Cortland 10'-3wt rod. Reasonably priced although i would build another and purchase blank from Hook and Hackle.

I have built a 10ft 4wt nymph rod from a Hook & Hackle blank and love it.

I purchased a 10ft 3/4 on E-bay; total no name rod. Came with two tips and a case for 130$. To every one who is rolling their eyes about now, I just happened to get lucky and know it! It is very versatile and has a moderate action for graphite. One day I fished nymphs on the Big Bushkill, and then cleaned up on dries in the eve. Lately I have been taking it to the local lake and banging pan fish with it. It only weighs 3oz. but I actually had to use an old Phleuger Medalist to get the balance right due to the length. I like the fact that a bull Blue gill can put a nice bend in it, not to mention a good bass. Only thing is every rod will be behave differently so finding one that suits your needs will likely be a bit of a guessing game. Casting first helps, but still doesn't always tell the whole story.

+1 on Ebay rod. 10ft 4 piece with extra tip 3-4 weight. Great rod caught a bunch of fish on it this year as a nymph rod. I think I payed $116.00 and have been very pleased. Fishes great, good back bone, with very sensitive tip. For the money it was well worth it. I could of spent $600.00 on a rod and couldn't tell the difference.
My .02c

I agree with the suggestions of going inexpensive until you commit. I fish with a 10' 4 wt. and I have a 10' 5 wt that I bought off the swap here that works well for bigger rivers. Both are under 200 bucks new, the Fenwick Aetos, which is a bit soft perhaps but can switch between multiple modes of fishing in one outing. My fishing buddy's first was the Cabela's CZN, and I fished that as well. Under 200 bucks with great warranty, and it too did the job. I surf fished for a long time, so I always learned to balance rods with the reels, and that seems equally important to weight of the blank, so even a "heavy" rod that is well balanced is effective.

laszlo wrote:
I have built a 10ft 4wt nymph rod from a Hook & Hackle blank and love it.

I plan on building their 10' 5wt this fall/winter.

Back