First Delaware River Trip

mute

mute

while I use the search function on the site and the internet, looking for some up-to-date information from you guys with experience on this river. decided to take a ad hoc trip with my brother up to the Delaware in New York to fish presumably somewhere around the whitetail fly shop. being is my first time and I'm not even sure what branch that is yet as I start to gatherb information together just looking for any tips on where we should be fishing or what to expect.

We're planning on going up early tomorrow morning around 6:00 a.m. should arrive and be fishing sometime around 9:30-10:00

That shop is located near the end of the west branch, just above it's junction with the east branch.
There is a boat launch there, if you're planning on a float.
It is a pretty good spot to start out on.

If you're wade fishing - a short walk upstream brings you a really nice pool that starts just below the PA/NY bridge at Hancock.

A short walk downstream brings you to the very popular junction pool

thanks! sounds like thats where ill go

Let us know how you do.
I'm gonna have a lot of "free" time next month.
And may just head up there myself

Well,. Not sure what was up. Started at the fly shop boat ramp and fished about 200 yards each way.

Moved on to the 191 bridge and fished that boy long pool right next to the bridge.

Moved on to the deposit rt17 bridge / access point and fished right by the bridge / island and about 200 yards each way.

Threw a mixture of nymphs, junk flies and a wooly bigger without even a bump.

one thing that was hard for me to determine was how deep some of this water was a lot of it you could see was pretty shallow all the way across around the same depths on the flats, however that big long pool at the 191 Hancock bridge almost seemed like it might have been anywhere 10 ft deep or more. I'm not really sure if I'll see him getting down low enough there.

Even aftery getting totally skunked and only seeing two fish caught with the 5 hours or so on the water it was nice to get out and fish something that I've never fished before.

I'm sorry you didn't have more success. That river gets a lot of pressure. Over the last few years I'm happy to get a handful of trout or a really nice one.

Did you see a lot of other anglers?

Yeah, the Delaware can be very tough.

Did you see anything hatching or rising?
Any surface activity now, would have likely been in the afternoon

Fished the Delaware for my first time around Deposit, NY yesterday for 4 hours and this morning for about 3 hours. Landed 1 nice rainbow about 16, lost 2.. We were nymphing. Was some tough fishing. My buddy landed one nice brownie and lost a very respectable one. All in all, good trip, nice to get out and fish a new stream. Didn’t see much in the way of hatches.
Talked to a gentleman yesterday evening who picked up 4 on Caddis dry flies.

Went up to Deposit the 18th and 19th with a buddy. Took the skunk on the19th but got about 6 or 7 on the 18th. Two were 20 plus the rest were sub 10 inchers. My buddy got a similar amount, one pushing 24 that took him into his backing. All browns and all except 1 on nymphs. Surface activity was spotty at best. I should also note that it was windy as heck both days and they increased the flow out of Stilesville Friday night. Not sure if flow increase turned them off but they were pretty voracious all day Friday. Basically no surface activity Friday evening but a couple on Saturday evening when my buddy fooled a 10 incher after casting to him for about 45 minutes.

Back