First day

TWEEK

TWEEK

what are most of you guys using for flies for the first day? just starting some general conversation.

I think I am gonna say home and relax. I know that a few days later the rivers and streams will still have fish but will have far less people. I am curious though, what a good fly selection consists of for this time of year. I myself usually go with streamers, nymphs, and midges but am interested in other types to increase my fish catching potential. Anyone have any suggestions?

I hope you don't mind I corrected the mispelling of "first" in the titles of your posts since Dave Kile said he'd like to keep the board family friendly.

I would have a handful of wooly buggers (don't overlook white) and beadhead nymphs as well as some general attractor flies in case the fish are interested in topwater flies. Sometimes fresh-stocked trout will feed on imitations on the surface regardless of hatches, because they are usually hungry, feeding opportunistically, and dumber than wild trout as they haven't been in the stream long enough to rise to the level of stupidity of a streambred trout.

With an inch of rain in the forecast for Wed. into Thursday, think I'll plan on setting by the fireplace until the flooding stops.

That's not what I wanted to hear Festus, seeing that I'm heading up to Ansonia this Thursday. I had planned on fishing Cedar or Slate Run on Friday.

Any suggestions?

D

fish the tribs to cedar when it comes up, use somethng big that they can see, like streamers

worked so far this year~5footfenwick

Sounds like the weather may not cooperate. I'm coming to PA from Michigan to fish the opener with my son. He's going to college in western PA and is excited about his first opener in another state after a long family tradition of "the last Saturday in April" in Michigan.

Hoping for a decent day on Saturday . . .

Joe

There may be salvation. NOAA is calling for wet snow instead of rain into Thursday morning. Think I'm gonna fish today just to be safe. :)

Actually it doesn't look all that bad at our camp...
but its only tuesday.:-?

According toAccuweather...

Friday Apr 13
Partly Sunny
Low: 37 °F
High: 49 °F

Saturday, Apr 14
Mostly Cloudy
Rain possible in the p.m.
Low: 44 °F
High: 58 °F

Sunday, Apr 15
Mostly Cloudy
Rain possible; windy, colder
Low: 31 °F
High: 49 °F

Monday, Apr 16
Intermittent Clouds
Times of clouds and sun
Low: 31 °F
High:52

In contrast...Weather.com (which says it uses Accuweather)

Fri Apr 13
Partly Cloudy
47°/36° 10% chance of rain

Sat Apr 14
Showers
55°/41° 60% chance of rain

Sun Apr 15
Rain / Snow Showers
41°/32° 60% COR

Mon Apr 16
Few Snow Showers / Wind
36°/33°

A little discrepancy... :-?

I'll be fishing nymphs, wooly buggers and dries. Last year I pounded them on Quill Gordon's that were coming off right and left however it was nice and warm last year on opening day. Don't know what this Saturday will bring.

Ron

Back