First Bass on the Fiberglass

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

Today was a day of firsts for me. Not only did I catch my first smallie of the season, but I caught it on my first fiberglass rod. It was the first fish I caught on my new rod, and it also happened to be my first smallie over 20 inches.

I have got to say, I absolutely love my new Cabela's CGR 7/8 weight.

This pig bent the rod all the way down to the handle and fought very hard for about a minute or so. Two similarly sized bass chased down my 5" clouser and honestly I'm not sure if I hooked the bigger one or not.

I was very happy with how the rod casts big heavy clousers and how its slow action helps protect the tippet.

Bass measured just about 21". I havent even caught a trout this season yet. Don't care either .

Attachments

• Awesome_1428852602211.jpg
    Awesome_1428852602211.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 9
Nice....I've been thinking about picking up one of those Cabela's Fiberglass Rods. I think I'll throw my waders on right now and walk down to the Juniata this very second.

Jifigz,

The cgr 7/8 is a great rod!

If i were to get another it would probably be the 6'6" # 4 because I've always wanted a shorter rod that still has enough power for roll casting bigger stuff on really tight streams.

Very nice fish, congrats! I've actually never fly fished for SMB but I am planning on trying to in the near future. Still trying to figure out what to throw.

Back