First attempt at weaving

SBecker

SBecker

Go big or go home.

This was my first attempt at a woven fly. Decided to try on Jasper's Drone Stone. I weaved by hand and not with bobbins, because I did not have enough empty spools. I do see that in the beginning I had too much tension on one side, as it did not make a clean weave. Guess practice makes perfect. Tempted to unravel all the lead off one of my spools to have another empty. lol Hope you like.

Attachments

• IMAG1063.jpg
    IMAG1063.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG1067.jpg
    IMAG1067.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1065.jpg
    IMAG1065.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1059.jpg
    IMAG1059.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 4
Becker ,
pretty good for your first weaves, as you do it more you will get better , my first polish woven nymphs i tied in 97 were very much like yours, but as i tied more they got cleaner n meaner an they fish exceptionally well.
Tight Wraps
Rick

For a first try not bad at all, much better than mine. Two suggestions; use your thread to taper the under body before you do the weave and deffinetly put the matl you are weaving with on bobbins. This will make it much easier to control the tension as you weave. Good tenshin control will keep the "interlocks" on the sides of the hook and prevent them from rolling around to the top or bottom of the shank. This will give you good color seperation from the top to the bottom of the fly.

Not bad at all. I would say to thin out the floss a little more so you have more contrasting bumps up the side.

Have you talked to George about his weaving method? He does this overhand knot weave that makes it look much cleaner, but it takes 3x longer. You should ask him about it. It's really easy.

For speed though, you can't beat the Wotton/Jasper method. You can knock out flies really quick. After you get fast at it, you can pretty much do it without the bobbins.

Try single strand uni-floss. It is prespooled on bobbins. I have used it and Danville 4 strand floss with good results. On the 4 strand I use between 2 and 3 strands to keep bulk down.

Not bad looking at all. i was tying the same fly this past weekend. i found using the the bobbins to help me a lot. i didn't have any empties either but just wound some floss over the existing material on some spools and worked great. the more you practice the better they start looking just like anything else, practice practice practice lol. what kind of dubbing did you use for the thorax ?

Thanks everybody. I did use a full floss, so next time I will break it down to a smaller amount of threads.

The dubbing I used is SLF Grey Squirrel Spikey Dubbing, natural gray.

Good looking tie larissa. I have seen a lot of golden stones on the streambottom in SE PA lately. Go get that fly wet.

What is it ?

Lol I love you Fred

LOL and yes you can debarb hooks and it will be legal just make sure it is gone

I would have taken your fly jab seriously, if I did not know you were up AJ's bung hole so bad, and did not know about this fly.

Thanks for the hook response :)

Sbecker nice fly. As already said as you tie more you will get better and faster at doing the weave. I have been doing weaves for awhile now and I can say my first ones took some practice. I can email you the tying tutorial of the luminous maximus fly I did for kype magazine or mail it to you if you care to see it. I would post it on here but it has my contact info and website info. I wouldn't want people to think I was advertising on here. Another thing is if you use the metalic embroidery floss it will grip and not slip as much as the silky stuff plus you can add flash to your flies if you want. Also I take the six strands of the floss apart and only use 3 of them for each color I am using.

SBecker wrote:
I would have taken your fly jab seriously, if I did not know you were up AJ's bung hole so bad, and did not know about this fly.

Thanks for the hook response :)

Your the one tying his flies and posting them .......Just Saying........

GD's book, suck it Napoleon

Back