Firehole Sticks: Hooks

T

Tiogadog

Has anyone tied or fished with these hooks?

I ordered a couple of packs from J Stockard recently. I have tied a dozen or so Garcia's Mini Hots on some size 16, model 718 (think Tiemco 200r). The hooks seem to have a heavier gauge wire than the similar TMC model.

The hooks have a nice finish and feature rather sharp points. They are barbless.

I have thoughts of putting them to use on some brook trout this weekend.

Anyone have any thoughts or reviews of them?

Tiogadog

I use them quite frequently when I tie - usually the 516 jig hooks, 317s, 320s, 609s and 633s. All roughly in size 12s to size 18s. High quality, very sharp and sturdy. Haven't had any issues yet, and for being barbless haven't really noticed a decrease in hook-ups besides it being my own fault.

Very good customer service as well - highly responsive on Facebook for example, and you can't beat the price, $10 for 50 hooks.

There are other comparable hooks out there as well - such as Hends hooks both with regards to quality and price. However, Firehole Outdoors is a small family run business, if that is something you would like to support - however, I do believe they are manufactured in China.

I did pre order some of their new tungsten beads - really cool and useful colors such as matte olives, dark browns, dark reds, etc, and they also only cost about $11-12 for 50 beads.

Thanks for the input Brad.

There really are a huge variety of hooks available these days. When I started tying 22 years ago it was mostly Mustad and TMC.

Now I have at least fifteen different brands in my hook boxes.

Back