Finding hatches.

P

Pete83

I've picked up fly fishing again the last two years. I happened upon a trico hatch on the monocacy that was my first I feel realization of being there for a hatch. What is the best way to find a hatch and what's the best way to prepare for one. I've looked at hatch charts. But not sure if there's a good way to locate the hatches. Thanks. Sorry if repeated question on here. Just joined. Love the content.

It takes some knowledge. But it's relatively predictable in that the same bugs hatch from the same places at the same time of year at the same time of day (and deviations can be predicted by weather). Every bug is different.

Trico's, as you likely saw, generally hatch overnight, go to trees, molt into spinners, then take their mating flights and fall dead in the mornings. From July till first frost, mainly on slower limestoners. On a hot, sunny day they'll be early, pretty much when the sun hits the water. A cooler overcast day, or as you go into fall, it happens later and is often more spread out.

Many of our mayflies are springtime bugs. You have the Baetis variety olives in February-April, generally hatch midday on limestoners. Transitioning to hendricksons and March Browns - daytime hatches, late evening spinner falls. To sulphers - which hatch in evenings and fall in late evening, to green drakes at the very end of May or more typically early June. One thing to know is that most of the hatches start off at midday in like March time frame, and progressively the action moves later and later into the evening. A storm or something can start things earlier, but by late May it's a fish at dusk till after dark and come out by flashlight game, especially if a sunny day. Then the blue quills of late June through the Trico's of July-October flip the script and make it a morning thing, moving progressively later morning as you get into fall. BWO's come back for a midday fall run before winter shuts things down again.

Not every stream has all types of bugs, of course. And most bugs that are "about to hatch" will start a week or two earlier in some streams than others. That you learn from hatch charts and experience. When the sulphers hit Valley and Tulpehocken, they'll start bout a week later on Penns and Spring, and another week later on BFC, Kettle, upper Pine, for example, and even later if you wanna go up to the Adirondaks, you can follow a hatch all around.

Likewise water type. Their are clinger, swimmer, and burrower mayfly nymphs. A clinger like a March Brown will mostly hatch in heavy riffs. A burrower in silty slow water. A swimmer in the glides. Most spinner falls, though, fall above riffles (but often current feeds them down through the pools).

Last edited:
I've picked up fly fishing again the last two years. I happened upon a trico hatch on the monocacy that was my first I feel realization of being there for a hatch. What is the best way to find a hatch and what's the best way to prepare for one. I've looked at hatch charts. But not sure if there's a good way to locate the hatches. Thanks. Sorry if repeated question on here. Just joined. Love the content.
Read what Pat posted above, good info.

But the reality is, knowing what hatches occur on which streams and at what dates or times and maybe even what section of stream is really tough to determine by hatch charts. I've studied hatch charts for many streams and many/most times I've never never seen anywhere near what is listed on the chart. The only way to really know what really hatches on any stream in fishable numbers is by experience seeing the actual hatch and/or relying on others to report what hatches are occurring or have occurred.

Once you know what hatches actually happen on a certain stream in decent numbers, refer to Pat's post to determine when and where to meet them.

Good luck.

Read Art Flicks Streamside guide. Paperback and not that big of book. Great information that was written about NY's Shoharie. Most of the flies in the book you will see here about 2 weeks earlier. There are plenty of books also about PA hatches. Landis and Meck come to mind. As written above, fish afternoons in spring and gradually move the timing to evenings. Any stream that holds trout will have bugs.

It takes some knowledge. But it's relatively predictable in that the same bugs hatch from the same places at the same time of year at the same time of day (and deviations can be predicted by weather). Every bug is different.

Trico's, as you likely saw, generally hatch overnight, go to trees, molt into spinners, then take their mating flights and fall dead in the mornings. From July till first frost, mainly on slower limestoners. On a hot, sunny day they'll be early, pretty much when the sun hits the water. A cooler overcast day, or as you go into fall, it happens later and is often more spread out.

Many of our mayflies are springtime bugs. You have the Baetis variety olives in February-April, generally hatch midday on limestoners. Transitioning to hendricksons and March Browns - daytime hatches, late evening spinner falls. To sulphers - which hatch in evenings and fall in late evening, to green drakes at the very end of May or more typically early June. One thing to know is that most of the hatches start off at midday in like March time frame, and progressively the action moves later and later into the evening. A storm or something can start things earlier, but by late May it's a fish at dusk till after dark and come out by flashlight game, especially if a sunny day. Then the blue quills of late June through the Trico's of July-October flip the script and make it a morning thing, moving progressively later morning as you get into fall. BWO's come back for a midday fall run before winter shuts things down again.

Not every stream has all types of bugs, of course. And most bugs that are "about to hatch" will start a week or two earlier in some streams than others. That you learn from hatch charts and experience. When the sulphers hit Valley and Tulpehocken, they'll start bout a week later on Penns and Spring, and another week later on BFC, Kettle, upper Pine, for example, and even later if you wanna go up to the Adirondaks, you can follow a hatch all around.

Likewise water type. Their are clinger, swimmer, and burrower mayfly nymphs. A clinger like a March Brown will mostly hatch in heavy riffs. A burrower in silty slow water. A swimmer in the glides. Most spinner falls, though, fall above riffles (but often current feeds them down through the pools).
That's some great info. Thank you.

You may find through some Internet searches a hatch chart for your area that delineates which bugs , which size , which time of year.

Or you could purchase some cheap used hatch centric books such as “Hatches made Simple” by Charlie Meck or stream side hatch books like Orvis’s.

Even if conditions are perfect and you follow the hatch charts and have the correct bug it’s a whole Nother matter of actually something coming together and happening.

A few years ago early in the season right when a particular water rounded into shape to being fishable from high waters. There was a perfect hatch that lasted an hour or two in the afternoon , was highly successful in catching. This water was 2 to 3 hours away from where I lived, had such success then I ended up fishing another water, staying overnight and then coming back to the same hole with the same conditions as the day before and nothing happened.

My motto with hatches is you have to go to know.

Back