finding Euro leader sighting leader material

A

AFISHN

I'm trying a new long nymph leader system this year using :
15# and 20# Maxima Cameleon
10# Gold Stren,
12# red Amnesia and 8# green Amnesia.

After searching ,it seems that I have to go to three different sites to buy the various components to construct the leaders..... and unfortunately,the combined shipping charges are steep

Does anyone have a suggestion where I can get these leader materials on one location or one site
Thanks
Tom

I don't know where you might find the materials. I was reading some where that a few years ago stren changed the formula on the Gold Stren and it is not as visible as the older version. If you decide to try #15 amnesia let me know as I have a spool and would be more than happy to send you a healthy length of it for your leader experiment.

AFISHN wrote:
I'm trying a new long nymph leader system this year using :
15# and 20# Maxima Cameleon
10# Gold Stren,
12# red Amnesia and 8# green Amnesia.

After searching ,it seems that I have to go to three different sites to buy the various components to construct the leaders..... and unfortunately,the combined shipping charges are steep

Does anyone have a suggestion where I can get these leader materials on one location or one site
Thanks
Tom

Tom there is allot better sighter material out these days. Some comp guys even sell their hand tied leaders that use during comps.

Actually, in putting together the cost of buying all these components,it might make sense to buy a pre rigged Euro leader or two...especially if I'm not sure I will like nymphing that way.
thanks for the replys
Tom

Here's a site-

WFILES

Scroll down on that page a little.

I built a couple leaders using the umpqua indicator tippet.

I cheated though by buying a 1x tapered leader, then attached about 18 inches of the indicator tippet. Then attached a tippet ring, from there I just run about 6ft of straight 4x

Cortland makes some indicator mono in several diameters. Bicolor, super yellow and white.

https://www.cortlandline.com/collections/leaders/products/indicator-mono-bi-color

A bit pricey to me at $7.99 for 20 feet but.....

AFISHN, please be aware that the current golden stren, as well as amnesia, are not what I consider the most desirable materials for sighters. I say this because the new golden stren is more translucent. The same goes for the amnesia. The old golden stren was opaque and is much easier to see when in/on the water. Translucent material allows light to shine through whereas opaque material tends to reflect light.

Fortunately, I scarfed up as much of the old golden stren in the sizes I use for sighters to last my lifetime. You may want to consider a similar move to ensure that you don't have to search for alternatives if what you choose to use now is discontinued or changed in the future.

You can also use the Cabelas store brand fluorescent yellow mono as one of your sections as I do. Works well.
That said, I also use the cheap-o Zebco brand mono from Wallyworld in the heavier weights for stiff butt sections - works just as good as the high-brow stuff does on my hand-tied leaders, honestly.
Mike B

http://competitiveangler.com/t/leaders/tippet/tippet-rings/etc

Latrobe PA company. They have some indicator sections or prebuilt leaders.

albatross wrote:
http://competitiveangler.com/t/leaders/tippet/tippet-rings/etc

Latrobe PA company. They have some indicator sections or prebuilt leaders.

These guys will be in Lancaster

Any Walmart or sporting goods store will have blue and/or gold Stren mono. The Amnesia and Maxima can be had online from many fly shops. If you were closer to me I'd gladly give you a few yards of my various Amnesia and Maxima spools, as I'm a leader junkie and have tried many different kinds.

I will agree with the above though, you can get indicator mono that changes from red to yellow, and tie it into your leader where you desire, as opposed to buying multiple spools of mono in different colors and diameters.

Thanks...all good info.really appreciate taking the time to reply.
I will be at the Lancaster Show tommorow .

Back