Finally, a decent smallmouth

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

I had pretty much quit smallmouth fishing for the last 10 years because the Susky is in such sad shape.

Today I gave it a go on a tributary and caught 3 this size and several others from 10 to 14" along with numerous annoying rock bass.

It's good to know there are still a few fish around.

5-5-13_zpsc9f946ca.jpg

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Good to hear. Bass fishing hasn't been gangbusters (for me at least) the last few years but there are still stellar days to be had and many large fish if you're willing to look for 'em.

Note: If you haven't met Tim, he makes fish look small - that's a heckuva nice bass and larger than it appears. :)

Fishidiot wrote:
Good to hear. Bass fishing hasn't been gangbusters (for me at least) the last few years but there are still stellar days to be had and many large fish if you're willing to look for 'em.

Note: If you haven't met Tim, he makes fish look small - that's a heckuva nice bass and larger than it appears. :)

Yup. I'd judge that fish to be well north of 10lbs! Great job!

Tim, It was great to meet you and I really enjoyed fishing with you.

I was also glad that some of the bigger fish decided to introduce themselves.

You were really laying out some nice casts over the pools.

Dear Tim,

Nice fish. This summer I am going to try to concentrate more on WW then trout as last year I thought FF was all abt trout.

I am getting excited for some WW fishing in the upcoming months but at my stage ... Rock bass don't annoy me. ;-). I take'em anyway I can hook'em.

Maybe one day this year II'll take you up and you can show me some pointers and techniques in prospecting SMB.

Regards
Stagger

PS .. Is a 9'0 6wt strong enough for LMB

Dear stagger,

Yes you can fish for LMB and SMB with a 6wt but you will be relegated to using smaller flies and catching larger fish by accident rather than on purpose.

Use what you have for now but think about getting an 8wt if you want to target bass exclusively. I was using a heavily weighted Lefy's Cactus fly that matched the 5" Senkos that my fishing buddy was using on spinning rod. That was a key to drawing strikes from larger fish, and the main reason you should consider upsizing your gear.

Little fish can and do hit the big flies, but when given a choice the larger fish will almost always avoid the smaller flies on favor of a more fulfilling meal.

Regards,

Dear Tim Murphy and board,

Considering I live in bucks but will travel abt 1hr+ ... Besides the Susky, where would you recommend I start mapping out for quality SMB streams including access points? I really want to get into WW fishing, especially in the real warm months of June, July and Aug.

If you don't want to spot burn please feel free to PM. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Stagger Lee

Dear Stagger,

There is a large river just to your east that I think holds a decent smallmouth population. Check through the archives on this site and I'm sure you'll find information on it.

Dear McSneek,

Yeah .. slipped my mind for a sec as I have read a ton abt that river so close to home. To lil coffee this AM and why do I always post like Tim in a Tim Murphy thread :lol:

Regards
Stagger

Yes fish the Delaware. No I'm not giving up my spot. IMO prospecting for SMB is very similar to trout. The main difference is that trout will sit behind structure, SMB will sit in front of it. Don't ask me why.

Why Jason?

I don't know or really care why. I leave those questions to the megaelite tourny champs. What I do know is that at my secret delaware smallie spot, the 20" smallies stack up like fire wood in front of massive old stone abutments.

Dear Stagger,

Like you've already heard try the Delaware.

I fished it a lot 30 years ago and would suggest you start out around the Yardley boat ramp or Washington's Crossing Park since I'm certain you can still access the river in those locations.

There are other spots along River Road, just drive along and search some out. Keep in mind you can fish from the Jersey side as well with your PA license. There are parks and boat launches on both side of the river that will serve as access points, as well as a few remaining wide spots where you can park along River Road and get to the water.

If you want to range a bit further try the Schuylkill River. It's smaller than the Delaware. I used to like fishing it from Port Clinton down to Hamburg, but again it's been quite a while since I've fished there.

You can also check out the Perkiomen and Tohickon Creeks.

That ought to get you started.

Regards,

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Stagger,

Like you've already heard try the Delaware.

I fished it a lot 30 years ago and would suggest you start out around the Yardley boat ramp or Washington's Crossing Park since I'm certain you can still access the river in those locations.

There are other spots along River Road, just drive along and search some out. Keep in mind you can fish from the Jersey side as well with your PA license. There are parks and boat launches on both side of the river that will serve as access points, as well as a few remaining wide spots where you can park along River Road and get to the water.

If you want to range a bit further try the Schuylkill River. It's smaller than the Delaware. I used to like fishing it from Port Clinton down to Hamburg, but again it's been quite a while since I've fished there.

You can also check out the Perkiomen and Tohickon Creeks.

That ought to get you started.

Regards,

^ all still true. Good advice.

Back