Filson Wading Jacket

mcwillja

mcwillja

I saw a great deal on a new filson wading jacket and was wondering if anyone has one and what they think of them. I have a lot of Filson stuff so I know it's bullet proof, but are they water proof and breathable like the product description says. They do pass the looks test.

Thanks,

Jason

Which one? The cloth one with oil treatment says it is water/wind resistant versus proof. Trust me when I say you want water/wind PROOF synthetic material versus cotton treated material.

If you are looking for high quality at the right price, the Sage Skagit is awesome for the current sale price.

http://www.redtruckflyfishing.com/Clearance/ptClearance.html

I previously bought the regingtion stratus jacket and it claimed it was waterproof but it wasn't even water resistant. I was soaked to the bone my last trip fishing in a steady light rain. I am leary about the waterproof claim now. The jacket even had a waterproof logo on the front. Very disappointing.

Columbia has one for around $100. Check Cabelas site. Anyone I've talked to has been pleased with the Columbia jacket. I have the Cabelas gore-tex wading jacket and that's also pretty good. My buddy Josh, just got a Reddington jacket that worked well. Jdaddy will confirm, it POURED on us while floating the Delaware in May. All 3 of us were dry (Disclaimer: jdaddy was under a bridge when the rain hit)

You should think about what your intended use is for the jacket. That is, are you looking for a lightweight jacket that you could use for all seasons in rain and layer as needed depending on time of year? Or are you looking for a heavier weight jacket to use during early spring/fall/winter? Also, are you looking for something fishing specific?

LL Bean Emerger II seems to have a good history and for $79 bucks you'd get a solid waterproof jacket with a no questions asked guarantee. They also have a Paclite Gore Tex version for $150.

Simms and Patagonia and Cloudveil--if you can find them--make incredible fishing jackets as well. More costly, but they are proven.

You could go another route, which is to get yourself a jacket specific to rainwear. Lots of options here so if you're looking for something more versitile that you could wear any time there's rain--fishing or not, this may be a better option.

I have this jacket and have had great experiences having field tested it in downpours that lasted for several hours. I like it because it's lightweight, packable, and versitile. The only downside is that it doesn't have the fishing specific features that true fishing jackets have.

Back