Filson Foul Weather Strap Vest

mcwillja

mcwillja

I have been looking for the perfect chest pack/vest for a while now and decided on the foul weather strap vest from Filson. I have not used the vest yet but it is comfortable and passes the looks test.

Does anybody have this vest and how do you like it? I do wish the front pockets were a little bigger, but they do fit everything I need. I love to backpack as it is large enough to carry a wading jacket, it zips and is water resistent.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Filson

I’ve had one for the last five years now and it’s been a love/hate relationship. The pockets are large enough for the big C&F box so you can relax on that one. There are also compartments inside each of the large front pockets for tippet or leader. For me the drying patch was worthless and I ended up sewing on a Stream Works magnetic holder. Please do this unless you enjoy losing flies. The straps are adjustable and this is nice when you want to tailor the fit from summer to winter where you need to accommodate extra layers of clothing. The fabric is a waxed waterproof material that gets wet quickly and becomes very heavy. It also takes a long time to dry out. Please understand I have never re-waxed the vest so part of this is on me. From a comfort standpoint, it’s not too bad but again, with this fabric, it tends to be heavy and hot in the summer. Perhaps my biggest gripe is the thing is falling apart after five years. I fish between 50 to 100 days a year so the vest has not had a hard life. By falling apart, I mean the fabric itself is giving up and looks like it has been cut except it has simply worn out. The seams and stitched parts seem to be fine. I’ll be using the vest thorough the winter but plan on checking out some alternatives at Somerset. The problem is, I still love the damn thing. I’m just very disappointed in the wear. I expected better from Filson. Good Luck & let us know how you make out.

Rolf

Thanks for the feedback Rolf. I know what you mean about the flypatch. Before the Foul Weather vest I had the Filson Tackle Pack and used a pin-on Simms flypatch in place of the wool one. I did the same thing for this vest. I really like the Filson Tackle Pack but the back pack was just too small to carry my wading jacket. Great for the summer when the weather is warm.

My friend has the Filson Strap Vest and he has used it for quite a few years and his still seems to be in good shape.

I really like this vest and can't wait to try it out. I just hope it keeps my gear dry during wet weather.

Good luck but do not count on it to keep your hear dry during bad weather unless you plan on re-waxing it.

Rolf

Rolf,

contact Filson regarding replacement or refurbishing. I have several items of theirs, no fishing gear, but I have experienced greta service from them. They have resoled hunting boots at no charge and replaced a broken belt that broke while using it to drag a deer out of the woods(forgot my rope). It worth a call!

My father has used the same strap vest for at least 10 years now. He bought it back when they were $85 bucks, and he loves it. I've used one of the tackle packs for 6 years now, and I don't have any complaints.

I use their tin cloth Filson chaps and they are animals.

I can walk through anything when I am small game hunting. If your vest is falling apart then something is wrong.

SonofZ3 wrote:
I've used one of the tackle packs for 6 years now, and I don't have any complaints.

before the foul weather vest I too used the tackle pack and really liked it. My only complaint was the backpack was too small. if the back pack was bigger I would probably still be using it.

Thanks for your input.

JM

scotto wrote:
Rolf,

contact Filson regarding replacement or refurbishing. I have several items of theirs, no fishing gear, but I have experienced greta service from them. They have resoled hunting boots at no charge and replaced a broken belt that broke while using it to drag a deer out of the woods(forgot my rope). It worth a call!

Scotto I probably will end up doing just that, not for a new one gratis but just to let them know how I feel. I have bought Filson through the years and have always been happy with their products. The vest was never weatherproof from the first day but I enjoy it just the same. Thinking on it today, I'll probably end up getting the same thing again. Go figure....hell, if I do, I don't have to remember where I put everything all over again.

Rolf

Rolf,

I'll be suprised if they don't offer to "make it right." Good luck though I don't think you'll need it. Let m know how you make out.

Scott

Just thought I would offer an update on this vest. I took the advice of some folks here and sent an e-mail to Filson Customer Service. I explained that while I have enjoyed the vest, the fabric had actually disintegrated in certain sections of the vest. I also explained I was a little surprised at this because the other products I have from Filson are basically bullet proof. This just didn’t seem to add up. They e-mailed me a pre-paid UPS label and had me send it back for repair. This evening I received a call from Filson saying they evaluated the vest and it could not be repaired. They apologized and are sending me a new vest gratis. I’m very happy though not surprised. As has been mentioned, Filson “wants to make it right”. Looks like I can now still keep complaining about how heavy the darn thing is and how long it takes to try out, for years to come. Needless to say, Filson will always have my business.

Rolf

One side note, Somerset is coming up and after looking over a lot of reviews for other vests, had decided to purchase this vest again. I suppose I’m just too old to learn where everything would be in a new style vest.

Rolf -

I used my foul weather vest for the first time last week and absolutlely loved it. The backpack is big enough to fit a wading jacket, lunch, water, etc. I think I found my "perfect vest". Thanks for your feedback.

JM

Rolf,

glad to hear it, but, as you, not really suprised. I really believe there are some good examples of "you get what you pay" and Filson has always delivered in an exemplary manner. Their motto of "Might as well have the best" really does describe them. I really don't work for them, but when I find something I think deserves it, I will give an enthusiastic, public testimonial.

Nice guys! Glad to hear all is well with both of you.

I have been wearing my filson chaps out deer hunting of the last few weeks and probably one of my best purchases.

Back