Figure 8 technique for musky

That is an old "trick" used here in Florida for Snook. Also for bass back when they were commercially fished. GG

Interesting video - thanks.

I'd add a couple observations:

This guy doesn't have sunglasses. Never fish muskie without polarized glasses. You need to see the fish to know to go into a figure 8. Even anglers who do the figure 8 at the end of every cast still need to see down into the water column. Seeing following muskies and their body language is crucial.

His fly rod is interesting - more like a big switch rod. He strips with the reel under his arm pit much like some salt guys. Conventional tackle muskie guys have been using very long rods for years. Part of the reason for this is to figure 8 better. In this case, the guy's fly rod is very long and has an extended fighting butt that works as a grip for the figure 8. It's tempting to me to purchase a conventional muskie blank designed for a bait casting reel, and use it to build a custom fly rod.
Hhmmm...

Years ago I used to fish Musky on juniata and had many follows right up to boat. (Using spinning gear). I never knew about the figure eight but maybe it would have helped.

good points Dave, I will say he does have "raccoon eyes" so he probably is not wearing them for the video. Also you need glasses for safety as well....and remember the time you dont figure 8 or L turn....etc....thats when you'll see that musky sitting there! we all get lazy with it but try to change direction near the boat

Back