Field and Stream Brand Wading boots

BrooksAndHooks

BrooksAndHooks

I picked these up at a recommendation of a friend, and have to say I really liked the fit, style, and the felt seems to be good quality. However after just fishing 2.5 months (got them in December) the threading and artificial denim material is pulling apart, ripping, etc on both boots at the seems and in the middle of the material on one. I bring the boots inside immediately and set them up to dry by a heater or air vent with some news paper, and in general took proper care of them. I'm pretty disappointed how quickly they are deteriorating. I will attempt to return them or exchange them or something, but not sure what they will do. I can still wear them and fish in them, but I feel like within the year they are going to just fall apart on me... We will see.

Just a word of warning, although they seemed to be quality and a fair deal at 60 bucks, 2 months of use is really not a great value.

Going to go with a pair of SIMMS next or something similar.

Buy a pair of SIMMS and get it over with. You get what you pay for.

About 6/7 years ago when I started fly fishing I bought a pair of Field and Stream boots from ****s.

I think at the time I paid 50 bucks or so. I upgraded to a pair of Patagonia boots this past season, but I can't speak bad about the F&S gear. My experience was good!

That being said, I think their product may have deteriorated a little over the past few years, I've heard more than a few complaints.

They probably had a shortened-life because they were inexpensive. However, when you get a new pair I advise against putting them over a heater/vent to dry. I wonder what others might think, but I don't think cycles of extreme drying and wetting is good for any boot. Wash them well with a garden hose and keep them damp (unless you don't plan to fish for a few months) or let them dry "naturally". Heat doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Am I off base on this? Other opinions welcome

nymphingmaniac wrote:
They probably had a shortened-life because they were inexpensive. However, when you get a new pair I advise against putting them over a heater/vent to dry. I wonder what others might think, but I don't think cycles of extreme drying and wetting is good for any boot.
They are designed to get wet and dry but would agree about the heater. I leave my korkers to air dry in the garage. If cold weather is a concern in the house would be fine just not in front of the heater.

Thanks for the tip, wild.

These boots were like 60 bucks. Not cheap, but not super expensive. I figured I would get a year or two out of them and save up for a good pair during that time.

the boots functionally are nice. The problem is the stitching and fake nylon.

The boots were placed in a sink to drain for a day or two, then set on news paper near the air vent, not a heater, to finish drying. typically took like 3-4 days to completely dry out.

Sorry if I didn't type that out clearly. Basically room temp air flows out on them. Not a space heater or something. Most of the time they were not even near that. So quick drying or something was not the issue. I think its simply a poor quality issue.

I took a suggestion of a friend and they turned out to be less than stellar. I will keep wearing them until they are completely shot. the boot itself and felt are still great, they are just starting to look bad. I don't care. Will buy a good pair next, redington, simms, patagonia etc.

anyone have experience with redington skaggit.

From experience and research, the best boots out there for the least amount of money are probably Simms Freestones.

They're right around $100. I don't think you're going to find any better, cheaper options.

I had a pair of Korkers Redsides(same price) before I got the Simms boots. They blew out quickly. I don't recommend them unless you only fish a few times a year.

Awesome, thank you for the suggestion! I feel like a lot of guys on this forum can't ever find anything constructive to say. I will look into them. Found some Simms on sale yesterday but none in my size. Hopefully I can get some money back from F&S and purchase a pair of simms to replace. Will look at the freestones.

Get the simms, I'm still on my first pair of guide waders i bought back in 1997. I take very good care of them, redo the water proofing and cleaning every year. Knock on wood , no leaks. I wear them about 30 to 50 times a year just for fly fishing.

Great to hear that. Would you also recommend the freestones? I see a pair on the message boards of simms for sale, but not sure if they would fit me. might try to find that size to try on locally.

What size do you wear? There's still a bunch of stuff out there that's on clearance.

My current boots are an 11, which fits pretty much exact.

I had similar experiences with less expensive boots. Over Christmas I bought Sims Guide boots because I understand that the support I need and the quality are there.

That being said, they were not cheap but replacing boots every few years is not either

Agreed. I expected them to last a year or two at the mid price point, and let me save up and look into what I wanted specifically, and try out a felt sole since I had just switched from rubber hips. I'm still fishing in the boots they just look a bit worse each time I take them out. Still going to see what they say as far as refunding but, I'm not crossing my fingers. I'll probably wear them til I can't lace them anymore. Some SIMMS or Patagonia are in my future.

I mainly wrote this post to warn others who are thinking of buying them. I would save my money.

I would recommend Simms Vapor boot. There are not many reviews on them as they are a new product for Simms but I have used them since January and they are really comfortable and sticky as hell. No need for felts or studs! Only time will tell if they hold up but Simms will replace them if I have any problems so I'm ok with that. I think I paid $150 on sale through Cabelas but they normally run about $179. Significantly cheaper then the other Simms boots.

Back