Fiberglass vs Graphite Rods

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
As a personal preference, I prefer graphite rods, but no doubt there are real advantages to glass. Below is a really informative and unbiased look at glass rods vs graphite by expert caster and rod and tackle seller Tim Rajeff......good info >

I own graphite rods that are slower or more moderate than glass I have and I've cast ('cause I wouldn't want to own) some bamboo that is faster than some graphite in the quiver.

So the "versus" thing in rods in lengths not at the extreme (shorter than 6'0" or longer than 8'6") for me is more about the overall weight of the rig than anything else which doesn't matter to me anyway. I fish graphite, glass & bamboo.

Preconceived notions, tackle snobbery and of course plain tackle preference has its influences on favorites as well.

My first rod was a fiberglass Fenwick rod which I made from a kit, Cost was 10.00.

I fish graphite. However when rods are shorter than 7 1/2 feet the major rod makers don't invest time in taper design and overall rod performance is problematic. bamboo and glass is the preferred material.

Chicken or beef. Pick-up or sedan. Shotgun or rifle. 5-wood or the 1-iron. Paper or plastic. It'll all do the job. What do you like?

I've acquired a small collection of fiberglass rods lately. I used to fish graphite, found for how and where I mostly fish I like the slower feel and weight of fiberglass. I also don't need the extra length.

My wife on the other hand seems to do better with graphite. She's still learning and I feel like she needs the extra stiffness and length so that's what I'm giving her. She always gets what she wants in the end.

Thanks for the video, I echo his sentiments on fiberglass, particularly when it comes to big fish fighting ability. I've landed some pretty big bass on trout taper, and it still surprises me how much extra work a fiberglass rod does at dampening the violent thrashing of a big fish that is out classed for your gear.

i wrote a response last night,but,it disappeared .

probably,there's an unrelated thread somewhere with my response

to this :)

fiberglass and bamboo protect tippets. done.

I've fished nothing but glass for several years now. Occasionally I'll take out a graphite rod just for fun, but I love my glass. I will tell you though, get out on a sizable river chasing walleye in some windy conditions while standing in 4 feet of water and glass can be problematic. I've hooked myself on more than one occasion in conditions like those. If I have a stiffer and more fast action graphite rod I can sidearm sling my big streamers A LOT safer.

I'll echo the same as others before me....
Weight - advantage graphite
Distance Performance / tight loops - edge to graphite
Tippet protection / landing a piggy - fiberglass all day

I haven't fished one in years....and probably won't be using one in the next 20 years

Variety is the spice of casting life.

Back