FF at Struble lake- nothing

bassfever

bassfever

Was at Struble lake (Honeybrook) from 4:30-6:30pm today.
Water was very stained, brownish color.
Tried popper, wooly bugger in black, white, white dry fly, no bites at all. Was wading, hip wader height.

Any ideas what I should have done?

Enjoyed the fact that you were ale to get out fishing? :)

More seriously, next time try some nymphs and streamers.

Did you vary the size and/or color of the buggers you tried?

I don't much about that lake but if you were fishing for bass in stained, water, it is best to go bigger with streamers. What size bugger were you using?

The couple of times I've been to lakes, they start hitting about an hour after you mentioned. I bet if you would have started at 6:30 and fished until 8:30 or so, you would have had some more action. Fly choice probably wasn't the problem, but could be wrong...

I thought too, maybe I should have stayed longer.
I tried black and white bugger, both size 8-10.

bassfever wrote:
Was at Struble lake (Honeybrook) from 4:30-6:30pm today.
Water was very stained, brownish color.
Tried popper, wooly bugger in black, white, white dry fly, no bites at all. Was wading, hip wader height.
Any ideas what I should have done?

I'm not familiar with Struble but I'm guessing this is a bass lake? Summer fly rod bass fishing is often best in the early mornings or evenings as other have already suggested. However, with stained water, this is less important. Do you fish this lake regularly? Is the water always so stained brownish? If it is usually clearer, the stained water may have put the fish off. If, however, the stained conditions are typical (could be an algae bloom) you should be able to catch some fish. I'd fish close to cover. Look for blow downs (trees that have fell in the water) bullrushes, lily pads, or weed beds and work these spots over with large, bright colored flies. Big black Wooly Buggers can produce well too under these conditions but you need to ensure that you're fishing where there are actually fish to see your fly. Next time you're out, take some time to observe other local fishermen: you can learn a lot about a bass lake by watching (don't follow them around) other fishermen or politely chatting them up at the boat ramp.

Back