Few ties

mute

mute

Im very happy with 2 of these ties. You can probably tell which ones were the first attempts of the 2 different flies. The blank hook is size 14. Im also confused how to tie in legs, i tried to tie them in on the prince john before the wire but then you cant wrap the wire up the body cause the legs are there.

Not sure what you mean but let me take a crack at it anyway..you want legs sticking out from between some of and in front of the wire wraps? If this is the case...wrap the wire to the point where you need legs...tie in legs and continue again beyond the legs...is that it? Maybe I'm not understanding your problem...try again?...

only bad part about learning to tie in the winter is that you can't just run out and try them...

wait...is this your fly?

You want hackle legs...just wrap the hackle over the peacock..it'll kind of get between the wraps...then just clip the tops so yo only have legs under and on the side..is that it?

The second one is how I do some of my legs. It is very easy to adjust the feather to get the perfect length once it is tied in.

Hah,i didint know there was such a fly. I just went half copper half prince. But with the legs, i would tie in the biots, and tie in the wire. So the wire would be ready to be wrapped up the hook. i tried tieing in the legs then and they looked good, but when you go to wrap the wire up the shank they would get in the way/there would be gaps in the wire body.

Just tie in the legs under/over the thorax...thats where they usually are anyway...

Mute-

Looks like you got the zebra midges nailed! The wraps look nice and consistent. Hope you get to catch some fish on one soon.

JG

Mute,
I would get some new hooks. They look rusty! Just kidding, it is probably my computer screen. Anyway, they look good. I am a beginner tier too! I have tied (ones that made the cut) 30 hares ears and 30 prince nymphs so far this winter. I think I am going to tie some copper johns next. I tied some of them before a trip to Montana this fall and they worked great. It definitely feels good when you catch a trout on your own tie. Have fun!

Troy

collection coming along for the season and first al's rat

I think you'll find it more effective and educational to sit and tie a minimum of 1/2 dozen of each pattern at a time.

If only I could take my own advice more often...

Jay wrote: "I think you'll find it more effective and educational to sit and tie a minimum of 1/2 dozen of each pattern at a time."

This is good advice. However, if someone has sever tier's ADHD then it is impossible.
I only ever tie multiple flies of the same pattern if they are for someone else.
For personal flies, I start to over analyse and try different things to change the fly. Most of the times these flies are mutant flies and for someone as anal as myself about how flies look, they are practically wasted hooks.

I tie several at a time of the same pattern if for no other reason that as I tie more and more of the same thing they get better with the repetition. Try doing a half dozen of something and see if it doesn't help.

I feel your pain. Keep it going!

I think we all strive to get really nice looking flies with all the details right. Just remember when you are first starting out that making certain things perfect isn't nearly as important as making sure your proportions and silhouettes are right.

just another batch for the upcoming month!@@

Back