Fertilizer plant fire contaminants to hit Susky saturday

21 miles in roughly 4 1/2 days. That's some slow moving contamination...which tells the geochem in me that these chemicals are going to be seeping from the soil until next fall.

Its a very wide slow moving crik Mr Duckfoot. I sure hope that the old saying "Dilution is the solution to water pollution" holds true and it don't spoil the York area fishin. Should be swinging down through Wrightsville in a few days. As if we needed more fingers in the eye of that fishery.

The media reports suggest that DEP is confident that the worst harm has passed. They managed to get a trench around the burn site before the storms came through yesterday and apparently run-off from the site has been stopped. These press reports have also quoted sources that have suggested that dilution in the lower part of the watershed suggest little impact on the Susky.

Not sure how much credence to put in these reports - just echoing what I'm hearing in local media.

And the irony.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/news/2015pr/sos-bass.htm

Fishidiot wrote:
The media reports suggest that DEP is confident that the worst harm has passed. They managed to get a trench around the burn site before the storms came through yesterday and apparently run-off from the site has been stopped. These press reports have also quoted sources that have suggested that dilution in the lower part of the watershed suggest little impact on the Susky.

Unless they actually pump out the water holding in that trench, it'll just seep into the soil, and eventually into the creek.

DEP is right...the original bloom of contamination is gone, but now it's the seepage to worry about. I think DEP is keeping the public from freaking out by saying that it's stopped (Hey! Look! We dug a pond!), when any fifth grader could raise their hand and say "but what about the soil?"

Dilution is the solution to (accidental) pollution, so hopefully the chemicals seeping out of the ground for the next year or so won't spike the river above the LD50 for biota.

Back