Fenwick world class fly rod

krayfish2

krayfish2

Does anyone have the newer version or havas anyone cast it? Looking for any feedback. Met a guy who has four of them for sale and thought they were worth a look. I also be interested if anyone had cast the new Fenwick aetos or the Redington vice. Thanks

Kray: I owned a Fenwick Aetos 9' 6 WT for about 3 months. Then it broke. This was last April. As you might assume, warranty repair was not an option due to the pandmeic. I got the issue moved up to a manager who kindly upgraded me to a Fenlite Streamflex.

I still have that rod and used it extensively for smallies and trout. It's a very nice rod with a fairly fast action and good dampening. I have not felt limited by the rod. It will do what a 6 WT is supposed to do, but struggles punching above its weight (casting heavy or bulky flies). I do not have a specialty line on it. It does fine with extra fast sinking versa-leaders.

In other words, it acts like a true 6. I would love to find one in a 4 WT for trout dries, etc.

I like the Fenlite Streamflex better than the Aetos for my use: streamers and smaller topwater for trout and bass. The reason is I felt the Aetos did not have a fast enough action for hauling and longer mends. And, it didn't seem to dampen as well so it wasn't as accurate for me.

I have a new Sage Payload for bigger....payloads.

Below is a 4 weight shoot-out. The Aetos did very well considering it's price point.
https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2019-4-weight-shootout/

A new rod won't make you a better caster. Have you considered lessons? LOL.

In all honesty I've casted neither.

I met the OP at a trade show and know that he is a professional guide. You may also know him too. I just don't know, but I think that he gives casting lessons to his clients when they want them.

Come on Mike (moon). Busting my ballz. I'm just trying to keep up with you and your cheating with a 6wt. LoL. Based on the winds so far this year, maybe I should be looking at an 8wt.

Mike (fly), I remember you having the aetos and liking it. Almost pulled the trigger on one several times. I was looking for wind / big fly / distance benefits. Considered bvk, vice, world class in a 6 wt. Something cheap as it will likely see very little use. The vice performance is somewhere between a sage x and ignitor according to one review I watched. It's under $200 and that's appealing because I'll rarely use it but would like to have a backup with some gusto for bad conditions.

Canoetripper,
I do help clients with their casting but don't proclaim to be a casting/teaching expert. I understand the mechanics, I can cast better than most but it is always a challenge getting the client to do what you ask or demonstrate. When you have someone out for 5 hours and they haven't moved a fish and then question if there are any fish in the river....but you explain that they have not done what you've asked them to do for 5 hours. "Please demonstrate so I can see what you are asking me to do"..... fish on in one cast. Happens all the time. It drives home the importance of line management and getting a good drift.

"wind / big fly / distance benefits"? Invite me down for a day on the water. I'll bring my Fenwick Streamflex 6 and Sage Payload 8. I think the Payload will help a bit with big flies and wind.

I'm kidding about the payload....mostly. It comes in a 6 WT if you can find any. I plan on a first float with it next weekend with my 8. I have high hopes for being able to haul a big fly on a sink tip, one back cast/haul, and shoot a bunch of line. It's kind of an ood taper in that it has fast tip and mid sections and a moderate butt section. I will post an evaluation.

Thanks to a text from BigBass, ended up with a old Redington cpx 9'6" 6wt for cheap! I had the 10' 5wt a few years back before an unfortunate accident lol. Thought the rod cast pretty good and was stout so I give this one a whirl. Still going to demo cast that guy's world class rod tomorrow.

He's got complete packages of 4 weight, 5 weight, 6 weight and spey rod. Rod, case, real, spare spool and two scientific angler lines. I don't think he's a member on here but he's not asking much for what you're getting. So... if anyone is interested, contact me and I'll get you his number. He's located 10 minutes outside of Harrisburg.

krayfish2 wrote:
Does anyone have the newer version or havas anyone cast it? Looking for any feedback. Met a guy who has four of them for sale and thought they were worth a look. I also be interested if anyone had cast the new Fenwick aetos or the Redington vice. Thanks

I believe the World Class has been discontinued. I have a 7' and 7'6" 3wt and like the 7wt but the swing weight on the longer rods is noticeable for me, a more amateur caster. I have also tried the 9' 5wt and noticed the same.

I like the Aetos - I regularly use an 8' 4wt as an all arounder. A better caster could get dries down better buts don't expect a Winston performance. I like the Redington CT as well.

Edit: good deals on those WC rods...people really seem to like them and force a premium.

outsider wrote:
Below is a 4 weight shoot-out. The Aetos did very well considering it's price point.
https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2019-4-weight-shootout/

Interesting.

Well, I tested out the Frankenstein combo I ended up with. Redington CPX 9'6", 6 weight. SA textured trout line. I cast it a few times during a float. Csoult and moon also tried it. In spite of the notoriously stiff blank, it felt good a will throw A LOT of line. A 15 foot cast just casting off the tip was not fun but that's not why I got it. Flick out 10', apply one double haul and it is gone. Also keeps 60' in the air with little effort. Don't know when or how often I'll use it but I kinda like it

Back