Fenwick Aetos 9' 6WT review

Fly-Swatter

Fly-Swatter

The 9’ 6WT Fenwick Aetos is an impressive rod. It's held it own among all top rated rods in gear reviews and "shootouts". It retails for $189, making it a fantastic value rod that shouldn’t limit you as your skills advance.

My comparisons for this review are Sage SP 9’ 5WT, Orvis Trident TLS 9’ 5WT, and Loomis NXR 9’ 8WT. I know these are not direct compariables, but they are what I use for streamers and poppers for years. It’s no Loomis NXR, but it’s nearly as functional but lacks the higher end components of the Loomis.

The rod has a somewhat soft tip and a bunch of reserve power in the mid and butt sections. Casting is easy and accurate in close. I had no trouble picking up 30’ of line with a 10’ leader and popper or weighted bugger and shooting out over 60’ with one back cast. It didn’t flinch at adding hauls to get more distance. I like it!

Cosmetics are good. The blank is a pretty deep teal blue with dark wraps and silver accents. The reels seat is solid, but cheap aluminum. The cork is the weakest area for this rod. It’s cheap with lots of fill compared to the Sage and Orvis rods I own.

In spite of the cheap components, the Aetos is a solid, workman-like rod with a low swing weight that will make 10+ hours of mid to long distance casting fairly easy. I am a fan.

This:

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2019-4-weight-shootout

Yo fly
I got an AETOS 7'3wt from an auction for Project Healing Waters and it is delightful. A Best Buy in a market filled with great products and values. I'm a Fenwick fanboy anyway: their actions are especially suited for Eastern trouting (as opposed to windy Rockies conditions).

Nice review Mike. Looked at them online but was afraid to actually try one. I'll snag one over the winter for experimenting.

Nowadays, lots of decent performance at reasonable price. Echo base is great and under $100. Spend a tad more and the Redington path is a nice performer with better components.

I recently picked up an 8 wt Aetos for steelhead. I would've preferred a 7 wt, but the heavier rod found me first. My initial impressions of it, while sitting at the kitchen table, have all been favorable. I can't wait to try it in another month or two!

lestrout wrote:

I got an AETOS 7'3wt from an auction for Project Healing Waters and it is delightful.

There's a win-win situation.

You scored a great rod, and a great organization raised some much deserved money. :)

Les: I'm glad to see Fenwick making quality rods, conventional and fly. When I was a kid, circa 1970s, Dave's Sporting Goods in Doylestown had Cortland and Fenwick rods. Fenwicks were the higher end rods. I got a Cortland that served me well for many years while I was learning to fly fish.

Andy: Feel free to cast mine this weekend. I plan on slinging streamers in the AM with it.

Coldbore: Nice! I hope the 8WT works well for you this Fall & winter. I think the soft tip will be a plus for you.

Outsider: yep. I read stuff like that obsessively. I'm neurotically cheap and typically overthink purchases like this. All my rods were purchased on some kind of significant discount. I felt very confident in this buying rod due to those "shootouts".

I will probably take you up on that offer. bet about 30 minutes tonight trying to figure out how to stuff a pontoon boat inside of the drift boat just in case

Haha, I yeay you. I've been staring at my canoe...

I may need to break down and wash my car. We really need some rain.

Back