favorite style dry fly tie

Q

quillfly

just want to see where the trend is at right now ill go first .you guessed it a quill body normally some form of the Flick varient's as im to lazy to add the wings most of the time your turn ;-)

Either a parachute or a no-hackle. Thread bodies, dubbed or feathered.

Next!

Not even close for me, Comparadun hands down is my go to dry fly and I catch fish.

the usual one.

Parachute

foam ...J/K
parachute for me as well...

Caddis: Renee Harrop CDC Palmered Adult
Stonefly: Can't tell you id have to ...top secret classified
Mayfly: Biot body Parachute flatwater or pools, roily water..i like the Dette's Type Palmered body catskill type
Terrestrials: ant: parachute
beetle: crowe Beetle{deer hair} not too durable but so deadly its a sin

for a easy tie i also like the Casual
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
P.S. i couldn't pick one so picked one for each type of bug im am encountering.besides if you ever see me out on a stream i carry everything in my chest pack.
Only place i can be a minimalist is the Lil Lehigh.

I really enjoy tying the traditional "Catskills" type dry flies, but for fishing I prefer parachutes.

Sniper,
Catskill ties work better for roily water,less likely to sink.In flatter water the parachute,comparadun,no hackle flies reign supreme.

I like to keep it simple. Size 18 cream dry fly. White tail, cream body, white hackle. Bam. Kills native brookies.

Parachutes and the Usual for me

CDC or snowshoe comparadun style with a turkey biot for the body and moose mane or microfibbets for the tail

regular ol' cdc caddis-thread, dubbing, cdc and a hook.

Cdc and Elk. Simple and very, very effective.

Foam terrestrials.

I don't do very much intentional fishing to hatches, but if I run into one while I'm on the creek, my favorite style of tie varies by the mayfly that is on the water and by the wind/weather conditions and by the predominant type of water the stream is presenting me with.

If its cold and I'm fishing paraleps or olives, I like comparaduns. Same goes if I'm fishing sulfurs and it is chilly for the season and the wind is relatively calm.

But if it is windy and I'm fishing sulfurs, I like a parachute or even a conventional, upwing dry (usually a turkey flat). I do it this way because the wind often makes the bugs skitter.

If I'm fishing March Browns, Gray Foxes or Drakes, I like a variant, usually. They tend to skate around too and I've had very poor results fishing these hatches with comparaduns. Same goes for Isonychias, although I don't think I've seen one since i left PA 12 years ago.

In sections of broken water, I'll often fish high riders like humpies during hatches. I've caught a lot of sulfur feeding fish on #16 yellow humpies.

Finally, we are plagued out here with the dinky olives (#22). Virtually every day from mid-May to season's end. My fingers aren't nimble enough to tie a comparadun that small that looks even the least bit fishy. So, I use parachutes and that seems to go ok.

For searching flies when i'm just fishing the water and there is no significant mayfly activity, I tend to fish mostly parachutes. Some Adams (and some yellow or olive Adams), but mostly hare's ear parachutes.

i like to tie catskills the most, but prefer pink post quill body parachutes for fishing.

RLeep2 wrote:
I don't do very much intentional fishing to hatches, but if I run into one while I'm on the creek, my favorite style of tie varies by the mayfly that is on the water and by the wind/weather conditions and by the predominant type of water the stream is presenting me with.

If its cold and I'm fishing paraleps or olives, I like comparaduns. Same goes if I'm fishing sulfurs and it is chilly for the season and the wind is relatively calm.

But if it is windy and I'm fishing sulfurs, I like a parachute or even a conventional, upwing dry (usually a turkey flat). I do it this way because the wind often makes the bugs skitter.

If I'm fishing March Browns, Gray Foxes or Drakes, I like a variant, usually. They tend to skate around too and I've had very poor results fishing these hatches with comparaduns. Same goes for Isonychias, although I don't think I've seen one since i left PA 12 years ago.

In sections of broken water, I'll often fish high riders like humpies during hatches. I've caught a lot of sulfur feeding fish on #16 yellow humpies.

Finally, we are plagued out here with the dinky olives (#22). Virtually every day from mid-May to season's end. My fingers aren't nimble enough to tie a comparadun that small that looks even the least bit fishy. So, I use parachutes and that seems to go ok.

For searching flies when i'm just fishing the water and there is no significant mayfly activity, I tend to fish mostly parachutes. Some Adams (and some yellow or olive Adams), but mostly hare's ear parachutes.

BWO's hatch every day, and you call it a plague?
Where is "out here" - I think I wanna move there

I tie Catskill style a little, because I fish parachute Adams, BWO's and Light Cahills a lot. I tie EHC in the traditonal manner, but have been using X-Caddis quite a bit this year. The X-Caddis really triggers strikes when there's not a lot going on with insects. I tie them with green bodies and orange trailing antron. It's as much an attractor pattern as an imitation the way I see it.

Back