Favorite Steelhead Fly

Prospector

Over the last few days I went through my steelhead boxes and filled every empty slot with a brand spanking new fly. Flies that are my best producers I carry 25 in that color and flies that produce in very niche situations I carry 4. In total I tote around about 750 flies when I truly use about 5-6 patterns per day. But the extra ones aren’t that heavy.

Now I’ll concentrate on my “surplus box” that I take on trips to quickly replenish for the next day.

All of that leads me to….I find that on the stream I rarely see two people fishing the same fly. So I’m curious, what is your “go to steelhead fly”? Mine is a FL Orange Crystal Meth Egg

For years it was a chartreuse estaz egg, but blue and pink were also in the mix depending on light/conditions.

Lately it seems fish are spookier so I go with a stonefly pattern. The best for me seems to be a Prince nymph.

Hotspot euro-nymphs were the ticket for me last season.

It depends on the fishery honestly but I find the sucker spawn to be the best flies for most fisheries. A buddy and I have a few variations using different materials but sz14 in cream usually does well. That or chartreuse estaz egg. Mind you if I’m purely nymphing (which is more often in Erie) I’ll use random euro patterns on stout hooks and it works. Hopefully Erie isn’t a zoo this year but I’m not holding my breath

Back