Favorite Freestoners

mr7183

mr7183

What do you guys think are the most productive PA freestone streams in PA?

Looking for "true" freestoners, so tailwaters and hybrid streams like Penns are out. Also, I'm talking about the larger freestone streams, so no worries about spotburning your favorite Brookie waters.

pine creek, loyalsock creek

pine creek, gennesse river, Allegheny river upper

Tough call as many streams I consider freestone have varying water chemistry and varying "productivity." If one considers productivity as insect life...in my experience larger, warmer waterways tend to have better macro life.

I'd agree with Pine Creek for these reasons (larger, warmer). Trout freestoners in the north central part of the state seem to me to be more productive as well. Kettle is a good one too.

However, flip some rocks on a big bass river like the Susquehanna and your entire perspective on macro life will change (if you've only checked mountain trout streams). The amount of bugs and their size in these rivers can be amazing.

Fishidiot wrote:
Tough call as many streams I consider freestone have varying water chemistry and varying "productivity." If one considers productivity as insect life...in my experience larger, warmer waterways tend to have better macro life.

I'd agree with Pine Creek for these reasons (larger, warmer). Trout freestoners in the north central part of the state seem to me to be more productive as well. Kettle is a good one too.

However, flip some rocks on a big bass river like the Susquehanna and your entire perspective on macro life will change (if you've only checked mountain trout streams). The amount of bugs and their size in these rivers can be amazing.

Yup, figured most of the answers would be for warmer water rivers.

Do you think there are any sizable freestone streams or rivers that are truly productive year round wild trout fisheries? My inclination is the answer is no.

It depends on your definition of sizable.

But, FWIW, the nature of freestoners is that they form from very small, but frequent springs. Thus, they grow gradually, and all at relatively the same rate.

Thus, the size of a freestone stream is DIRECTLY related to it's temperature profile. Smaller streams are more constant temps year round, and larger ones vary more (meaning warmer in summer).

Thus, any given area will have a "critical size", and anything larger than that is going to get too warm in the summertime, at least without some other coldwater influence like a tailwater or a large limestone trib. Anything smaller than the critical size will be suitable for, and most likely have, wild trout.

Do you think there are any sizable freestone streams or rivers that are truly productive year round wild trout fisheries?

Define sizable. They ain't all little brook trout trickles, if that's what you mean. Across the northern tier, the "critical size" is rather consistent.

Streams of that size which do produce decent wild trout fisheries include Upper Pine, upper Kettle, Upper Allegheny, Little Pine, Young Woman's, Loyalsock, and many, many others. In all those cases, as you go downstream and get bigger, you also get warmer, and lose the wild fish.

(^^^And when I say upper Pine, I mean upper, as in Galeton area and above, and with the Allegheny, we're talking above Coudersport, etc).

Most of your answers will be the bigger, famous ones like that. Smaller waters are often more productive (cause they're colder), but most of us won't name em, though as a hint, on those same streams, just go even farther upstream. :)

Loyalsock holds more fish than 99% of people care to find.

The Tunkhannock creek(Wyoming,susquehanna) I believe is what you would call a free stoner and is one of the larger creeks up this way.It may not have loads of native brook trout in it but there is a few.

McMichaels or Martins creek.

I've always liked the broadhead, but that includes the broadhead, mcmichaels, pocono, and a few others.

Fishing Creek Columbia County is high on my list for many reasons including me owning a stretch of it. Hatches are strong, fish are plentiful in the way of hold over and stocked trout, Good population of wild browns and some native brook trout and a lot of miles of stream to fish. Water is generally cool enough to fish throughout the warmer months. All the way around a great Freestone creek.

Ron

I've always liked Kettle Creek though I haven't fished it in way too long. Plenty of wild brook trout even in areas I would call sizable. If you want to crawl around on hands and knees you can just fish the headwaters. Once hit an epic Green Drake hatch on my birthday (early June) and fished it two evenings in a row, by myself. Yeah I was catching stocked fish, but they were rainbows that had survived awhile and were in great shape and averaged 14". Another trip I just hiked up from a main road and caught really nice brook trout without going very far; though the farther in I went the bigger they got.

Pine Creek!!!

Back