Favorite Fly to Tie

PatriotFly26

PatriotFly26

Now I haven't seen anything on here about anybodies favorite fly.

Hands down for me it is a perch bucktail that I have created for pike fishing.

It's about 6" long and has two orange bucktail fins that are trimmed to shape. Green bucktail with holographic flash. Yellow eyes on a black thread head. I have changed this pattern multiple times and no matter what I do. A perch pattern for Big Northerns or Smallmouth is without a doubt the best colors, and best type of food that I've found for these toothy predators.

A bubbled cadis emerger/pupa that I concocked a few years ago.

I just really like the way it looks and fishes.

gotta be the crackleback (Ed Story) this thing has been a killer for me!

drews,
You got a pic?

MKern wrote:
drews,
You got a pic?

I'm not Drews, but I'll run with it anyway...
crackleback-fly-byron-haugh-photograph-hans-weilenmann.jpg

Its the signature pattern of Feathercraft, and the one in their logo. A friend of mine came back from FC with a couple of these and instructions, and swore by 'em.

You use it like a dry, let it skate/swing and then bring it back under water with a figure-eight like a wet or streamer.

I tied some, and lost them to trees, but never had much faith in them. A couple weeks back, I went to take 30 minutes to try out something with a new rod, and tied it on because it was generic and I didn't mind losing them.

First, I took a fish on top who was on and I gave him slack to throw it because it was too warm to play, then drawing it back in a gentle pull, took a second one under the surface.

I was impressed, worked as advertised.

spawn and midges simply because I can pump a dozen out in ten minutes.

gotta be size 14 beadheads. you can make a zillion different kinds or stick with pt an hares ears. i found that most stockies will hit any one if the water is up. plus you use a little material to make them. I have caught plenty of big fish on them.

i used to tie dry flies but dont use them much anymore

My half n hlf emeger.
beserker68
[/url][/img]

Hare's ear Soft Hackles and Clouser Deep minnows.

Foam back caddis emerger/snowshoe wing. Vary color to seasons. Works from March until well into December. Sizes 18 and 20 are the most productive. Fish it behind weighted caddid pupa. It will rise up and down in the water column due to the foam.

Well, there seems to be 2 types of answers here, favorite fly to tie and favorite fly to fish with. My favorite fly to tie is a big Perla stonefly nymph, using my own recipe. Size 8, 3x long nymph hook. They catch big fish (and small ones too), and they are good looking. But they take a long time to tie. Like others who posted, I often use hare's ear nymphs and hare's ear soft hackles in various styles and sizes when nothing in particular is hatching. Been using all of the above for decades.

Transitional Dun
Simple to tie and fish love it. Not too many folks tie nor fish it so it gives them something new to look at.
Close second - paraloop
Hard to tie but rewarding when finished. a real killer pattern on pressured fish.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    432.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    442.3 KB · Views: 3
I answered for someone else, but didn't actually answer for myself.

I like Clouser minnows. They're easy, effective, and fun. I think they absolutely look the part, too, and I enjoy making them in all sizes, and trying new stuff.

I also enjoy tying anything with a floss body. They look prettier than anything else. I don't tie classic winged wets, mostly because I can't do wings, but I still enjoy modified, "fishable" versions with rolled mallard for the wings. Shame I don't really use them effectively, mostly because I don't try.

I should take a day out to really give them a go. They'd probably make a nice dropper off one of those Cracklebacks up there, actually, giving me the best of all worlds combined with an indicator for my lack of observance.

I have been tying and using the FC Crackleback for years after Mr Story from FeatherCraft showed me how to tie while visiting in St Louis. I can honestly say its the best dry fly in my box. Tie them is size 12.

Ron

I like to tie Catskill style dry flies with upright divided wood duck or barred mallard wings , been doing it a long time but i still get a kick out of lookin at em when i'm done and most of the time i'm satisfied. JayL.........did you get to try any of the "Hendricksons" or was it too late for this year?

Back