Favorite flies

Popper_and_son

Popper_and_son

What‘s your favorite fly/flies for spring brownies?

Spring browns where I fish for aren’t particularly selective, often the streams have multiple hatches at once. Therefore I look at hatch charts and where I’m fishing and select flies accordingly. For instance, if a hatch chart for early season on Pine Creek shows blue quills for opening day(4/1) then I’ll make sure I have the dry nymph and spinner for that hatch. As well, I’ll have some of late winter flies.
If the weather is unusually warm early in the season, such as 2012, then I’ll make sure I have a wide variety of flies for that time of the year. I went to my camp in mid March that year and when I arrived it was 75 degrees and the water was already in the 50 to 55 degree range, it changed everything I fished that year.

Spring browns where I fish for aren’t particularly selective, often the streams have multiple hatches at once. Therefore I look at hatch charts and where I’m fishing and select flies accordingly. For instance, if a hatch chart for early season on Pine Creek shows blue quills for opening day(4/1) then I’ll make sure I have the dry nymph and spinner for that hatch. As well, I’ll have some of late winter flies.
If the weather is unusually warm early in the season, such as 2012, then I’ll make sure I have a wide variety of flies for that time of the year. I went to my camp in mid March that year and when I arrived it was 75 degrees and the water was already in the 50 to 55 degree range, it changed everything I fished that year.
Thank you for the information.

My favorite, of course, is the @Maurice fly by Matt Boyer. A real fish catcher

Attachments

• IMG_4020.jpeg
    IMG_4020.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 48
I'm not sure I have a favorite fly specifically for spring brownies, but if I did it would more than likely be a Pat's Rubber leg.

Last edited:
Just my favorite fly without regards to anything else? That's gotta be the prince nymph.

Number one for me is a CDC soft hackle silver Lightning Bug Nymph #18-14

The only thing that comes close for me is a CDC soft hackle PT nymph. Also, in #18-14

That's not to say I don't fish other patterns or that other patterns don't have their day. However, one or both of those are often on my two fly nymph rigs and one or the other usually produces with a degree of consistency.

I also like Princes, Bird of Preys, sparkle pupa etc. All the common stuff really.

Some flies that definitely have hot-or-not days are San Juan's, rubber leg stones, mops, and eggs. These tend to be more water condition dependent

Number one for me is a CDC soft hackle silver Lightning Bug Nymph #18-14

The only thing that comes close for me is a CDC soft hackle PT nymph. Also, in #18-14

That's not to say I don't fish other patterns or that other patterns don't have their day. However, one or both of those are often on my two fly nymph rigs and one or the other usually produces with a degree of consistency.

I also like Princes, Bird of Preys, sparkle pupa etc. All the common stuff really.

Some flies that definitely have hot-or-not days are San Juan's, rubber leg stones, mops, and eggs. These tend to be more water condition dependent
Show us pics. Love soft hackles.

Back