favorite fish

jlsmithii

jlsmithii

now with the season opening soon, just thought i would poll everyone as to their favorite species.

i would vote for trout and especially brookies - something about native fish from native waters.

For me it is trout. I don't much care what flavor they are, though I seem to really favor browns for no particular reason. Second place goes to the mighty sunfish-- bluegill, redear, punkinseed, don't matter, just keep risin' to the dry. :-D

All hail the mighty fallfish!

Nah. I guess it has to be brookies. I like all trout, but brookies are pretty and they are our home town heroes.

I'll fish for just about anything though. And the proudest moment of my fishing career was when I finally landed a half dozen or so carp on Penns Creek. :)

The mighty bluegill! Pound for pound, the most fun one can have on a fly rod.

I favor the mighty Smallmouth there in every creek around my way and they fight alot harder than any trout I have caught .Also I have to drive 40 plus minutes to get to the nearest wild trout stream (Valley) compared to 2 minutes to catch Smallies. I could settle for stockies(5 minutes away) but when I fish for stockies I feel like i'm fishing at a kiddie pond. Just my 2 cents .... :hammer:

My favorites would have to be trout because they live in beautiful places and are elegant, but smallies aren't far behind.
Coughlin

My favorite fish is the one on the end of my line. My favorite beer is the one in my hand.

beeber

Hands down it trout for me, don't care if it's for wild, stocked, Browns, rainbow, brookies, as long as I'm fishing!

I am sure I would fish for Bass more if it wasn't so hard for me to wade the river.

Paul

Trout,
Grayling
Salmon
Bass,
sunfish
and everything else falls into the gross catagory.
In that order. I have been desperate enough to specifically target the "gross" fish.

Browns
Brooks
Rainbows (palominos here too)
Smallmouth
Mahi Mahi
Spanish Mackerel
Stripers
Largemouth
Pickerel
Sunfish

in that order.

At least that's what I think it is at this point. I'll take anything on the end of my line though.

Trout number one, harder for me to catch. I like the challenge. However, when i hooked my first bass on my flyrod I can't get enough of them. Had to sit down after the 10 min fight on my 5wt. Caught 3 5 pounders on a hopper my first time trying for them. panfish number 3. If you can find them big enough, they fight almost as well as bass (and I've got the spot!). Have yet to catch anything else on the fly but my goal is to go after some carp this year. Also heard that walleye and pike are quite exciting. That's my novice input.

1. Cod, breaded and Cajun seasoning and deep fried to a golden brown.
2. Cod, beer battered and fried to a golden brown.
3.Stuffed winter flounder, broiled with lemon and butter.
4. Same as 3, only without the stuffing.
5. most any other salt water white fish.
6. Baked stuffed salmon.
7. Walleye, breaded and deep fried to a golden brown.
8. Perch
9. Most any fresh water panfish, fried.
10. Grilled Mahi mahi
11. Grilled swordfish
12. Grilled Salmon (must be wild salmon to be fit to eat without stuffing)

All fish are best served with a side of steak, a baked potato, and Yeingling!!!

Sorry, can't help myself. On a diet, and hard to think of anything but food. Getting very tired of rabbit food. Right now i am not safe around a trout stream. I'm afraid i would have to eat what i caught.

FarmerDave, I got a picture of Homer Simpson drooling in my mind while reading your post. (Ooooh, Coddd, uummmm.) Actually, I'm drooling a little myself.

Brookies bigger than 15 inches.

I can't do this without dividing it into categories:

1) Favorite fish to hook for fight: Tie between wild RT and smallmouth bass in flowing water.

2) Favorite fish for the surroundings where it is usually found: wild brook trout. Makes up for the fact that they, IMO, are inch for inch the most anemic fighters of any trout I've ever caught.

3) Favorite fish for strike shock: Northern Pike

4) Most powerful fish in fresh water as a function of size: Bluegill

5) Best eating fish: Walleye, crappie, grouper.

6) Prettiest fish: Tie: West slope cutt, some brook trout (depends on the strain and location) and some eastern freestone wild RT (again depening on individual fish or location).

Favorite overall fish: wild brown trout. Not the winner in any of my categories, but scores high enough in all of them to be the overall winner. Adaptable, a good fighter, pretty, usually (but not always, of course..) found in pleasant surroundings. Without them, this thing we call wild trout fishing would be very much diminished..

Oh, and honorable mention in the eating category to Creme de la Brochet, a Quebecoise recipe for northern pike in a cream sauce.

trout in aluminum foil with a little bit of butter and lemon pepper seasoning STRAIGHT ON THE CAMPFIRE!!! no forks needed. mmmmm makes me drool just thinking about it.

Trout (all species) But I particularly love native brookies (most eye appelling fish except for Kern river golden trout). I do like bass, but I feel it gets boring. I have hooked and landed 1 carp, sorry but not impressed.

Fresh:
Brook Trout
Smallmouths
Redbreast Sunfish

Salt:
Stripers
Bonefish
Barracuda

Big Rainbows in the West Branch Delaware.

Back