Faux fox

Arminacast

Arminacast

I am rather new to fly tying ( about 6 months) i have been tying various versions of the wooly bugger and enjoy fishing them. I was wondering if any one has used faux fox for the tail of your wooly buggers and do you like it?

I don't think I have ever used this. Natural fox and coyote are readily avaliable and inexpensive. Natural materials are almost always more natural in the water than synthetics. Wooly Buggers are traditionally tied with marabou for the tail, but you can certainly experiment with other materials, both natural and synthetic.

With this said, tie up a basic bugger with the materials you have and test it in a bath tub or local creek or pond. You might find it has nice movement and works fine. If you have a supply of faux fox, you might as well use it.

ive never heard of faux fox but it should be a good substitute for tails on wooly buggers and other flies

experiment

tie a couple of them and then go fishing. let us know how the fish liked them

Thanks for the input. I've been thinking about buying some to try.

is it different than craft fur? i often use craft fur in place of calf tail or bucktail.

is it different than craft fur? i often use craft fur in place of calf tail or bucktail.

I don't know if its any different than craft fur. I saw it in a lurecraft catalog and was thinking of buying it.

its craft fur made to look like fox, wolf, coyote, etc.

The marabou tied in the rear of the wooly bugger adds movement to the fly which makes it very appealing to fish.

Tying craft fur on the rear of a bugger makes it more like a wooly worm > here

Back