Fathers Day; spousal approved fishing day

F

Frederick V. C.

Woke up pretty early and drove to a fairly local trout stream to target stream bred Browns. Sadly (IMO) is it also heavily stocked though most of the meat hunters have moved on. Took a temp at 9 am and got a nice 58. There was very limited bug activity but I went with a bright, attractor dry fly to see if they would come up. Was using my favorite dry fly rod a GL3 3wt. It weighs less than two oz. and has a nice moderate action.

Not surprisingly I missed the first couple hits. It was pretty technical fishing; tight quarters and you better get a perfect drift. The hits were sporadic but savage and it felt a bit like fishing for Brook Trout. As I shook off the rust, the bites and hook ups became more frequent. Almost every fish came out of a fast riffle or run, some of which were less than ten feet wide. Most were knee deep, if that. Mostly small Browns; a couple were fat 10" fish and fought really well. Only really covered one riser and after a few drifts I turned my head, then looked back just in time to see a dimple. Raised the rod and hooked him; my lucky fish of the day.

Fished upstream for quite a ways and was gassed by about noon. Over a half mi. walk by road back to my truck and some much needed water. Was in the shade almost the whole time other than the walk back. Would have been satisfied with a fish or two but ended up bringing ten to hand and losing a few. Naturally I missed a bunch as well. Didn't see another fisherman the whole time.

Part 2: Had a sushi dinner with my family and headed to my local lake around 8:30. It was calm and a few fish rising. Was fishing a medium rubber legged popper and the gills were inhaling it. When they slowed a little I tried a Blue Gill Bully Spider and took a half doz. or so before switching back to the popper. They slowed at dark and then picked up again when the light went way down. Left them biting around 9:30; one of the best nights I've had there. Lots of hefty gills and one medium crappie. All and all a heck of a Fathers Day!https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=9681864378551707&set=pcb.9681865178551627
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=9681864851884993&set=pcb.9681865178551627

My Father’s Day fishing day was Saturday. Road trip to WV!

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2288.png
    IMG_2288.png
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2287.png
    IMG_2287.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2285.png
    IMG_2285.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2283.png