Fast Action Rod Question

attackone

attackone

I just got a Orvis Acces 10' 4 wt which i love the rod so far, but the other day i noticed that i was starting to lose more fish then normal during the fight...i have been thinking about it alot and i think i might have been putting to much pressure on the fish when bringing them in since most of them where in the fast water...am i on the right path for the issue or is it something else

also the 10' rod will apply way more leverage on a fish than a 8'6 or 9'
even though you are doing the same thing

i dont think its the length that is giving me any issues, before i got this rod i was using a 10' 4wt cortland brook

No sure what you mean by losing more? Missing the set? Breaking them off? Tearing the hook out? What size tippet are you using? Does your reel have drag?

As for the rod itself, it is possible the action of the rod simply stiffens too quickly so when you are putting pressure on the trout and the trout suddenly takes off, the rod doesn't respond smoothly to that sudden force and that's the problem. A fast action rod should have a soft tip (I believe the 10'Access is a tip flex) and then should get progressively stiffer as you move torwards the butt but there should be no sections where the flex seems to get hung up. As you pull harder and harder the rod should continuously and smoothly bend and flex down towards the butt.

when i say losing more i mean i have more throwing the hook after awhile but it really just seems like i mainly lose them when i try and horse them in while they r in fast water... saturday i landed 31 and had another 10-15 get off while i was trying to bring them in

It's fishing, there is no guarantee that a fish will be landed. That's why it's a sport. The fish wants off, sometimes you land them sometimes you don't. Landing 2/3 of fish hooked isn't abnormal. That said, there are probably things you can work on that will increase your chances of landing fish. I would pinch barbs for better penetration and make sure to get a good hook set then keep pressure on the fish and keep control of its head. Work on those things and you'll likely increase the number of fish you land. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with rod action or length.

The 10 ft Orvis Acess in 4 wt is rated a 10.5 tip flex. I was spooked by the 10.5 rating and ended up buying another rod fearing the Access would be too stiff.

Stiff rodtips definitely increase the rate at which fish get off. Less give for the headshakes and sudden pulls. So more pressure changes between hook and mouth, leading to hooks pulling out and, if the fish is sizable, snapped tippets.

Whether that is your problem, or if you're just in a slump (hey, it happens), I don't know.

But to combat it, the best equipment thing I know of is to increase the amount of stretch in the leader and tippet. Stay away from flouro's and braded materials, which don't stretch. Stick with mono's. Even then the stretch varies a lot by brand, but you can test with the hand pull method. The extra stretch acts just like a softer rod to absorb those things.

Back when I was fishing steelhead more, I found this to be a lifesaver. I went through a streak where I was almost immediately losing or breaking off everything I hooked. And even then I stuck with flouro tippet on the business end for the abrasion resistance on those teeth, but up on the leader, I put on extremely stretchy stuff. It was like night and day, the line absorbed all the surges and headshakes, hardely even felt it in the rod!

Other than that, it's adjusting technique. Adjusting your hookset, keeping proper angles during the fight, etc. That's good advice for any rod, but perhaps with your new one you gotta pay more attention to it now than you did before.

Pat has a great workaround there. I myself prefer softer sticks for trouting. I love the way the casting machines cast (Sage, Loomis, etc) but the softer Winstons and T&Ts are superior for hanging on to the trouts.

Glass and bamboo are even better.

A while ago, Sue Burgess had a stretchy rubber thingie to attach to the leader butt - this worked around the old Kevlar lines, which were introduced because they didn't stretch. But that in turn caused fish handing issues.

tl
les

Back