Falling Spring Branch tomorrow

geebee

geebee

Hi Guys,

I am in VA for the weekend so tomorrow morning i'm going to make my first visit up to Falling springs.

Which rod should i use - i'll be fishing a tandem dry dropper i think - fast action 9ft 3wt, or medium soft 7 ft bamboo 4 wt ?

it seems to me the 9ft will give better reach and drifts between and around the weeds, but the bamboo will have more 'give' when/if the sizeable fish there dart out and nail the hares ear, scud, hot spot or serendipty nymph.

if anyone wants to say hello , i'll be working my way up the Heritage section - green ball cap, silver Honda CRV.

i've been waiting to fish this for two years, so one fish will make my day.

Cheers

Mark.

I'd have no problem fishing the 7'6" 4wt given the size of the stream. Quite honestly, either rod will work. Long leaders and stealth are key on that stream. She will school you.

wgmiller wrote:
I'd have no problem fishing the 7'6" 4wt given the size of the stream. Quite honestly, either rod will work. Long leaders and stealth are key on that stream. She will school you.

Agree. FS in the FFO section is pretty small water. There's a couple pools where a long rod helps, but I usually fish FS with my smallest fly rods.
Good luck with your trip Mark. I think the forecast is for sunny weather - the fish may be laying low. Don't be discouraged if you see few fish.

Thanks Guys - i made a typo, the rod is 7ft but i get the jist.

i figured the 9ft would be stealthier.

I am expecting to be totally schooled and not see too many fish - it will certainly be different to chalkstream trout who sunbathe and primarily take dry flies.

i'm hoping my lessons on VC, pressured MA tailwaters and small CT wild BT streams will hold me in good stead, plus i've read Mike Hecks book a half a dozen times.

for a first visit i figure the hopper dropper will get me started.

Make the "hopper" part of your rig a tan deer hair Caddis #16 and your "dropper" a #18 PT hanging on a 6X dropper and you'll improve your chances.

I find long cast will save u on rising fish. However ive nailed some monster browns on chwoolybuggers under banks and in deep runs

I'd take both and keep one in the car. Switch if you are not happy with the first choice.

JG - given the hatch chart, a tan X caddis for that flat water (unless its windy) was my first choice.

slack - oh yeah - i always have 2 rods 2 reels in the car. in case of breakages, jams etc.

i fished it with no luck - looking to fish the slots in the weed beds, i started at Quarry Rd and was SOL until i hit Garman road, in which time i had no time left but to turn and work my way back.

i did spend 10minutes there anyway casting a #16 tan x caddis with a #16 GRHE in the 2-3 slots i found.

The bambo rod cast nicely and i didn't hang up once. due to the small size of the stream, i think the 9ft would have given me better reach for the 12" or so slots in between the weed beds that were 3-4 feet long, but the bamboo was spot on for accuracy.

its a pretty stream, just no weed growth in the lower section yet - as predicted by others here, the deep green pools were 99% empty - i saw one 7" wild bow in one on the way back down, otherwise i just saw two slightly larger bows above the bridge on edwards ave.

all spooked before i could get into a good casting position behind them.

btw the female geese are right on their eggs at the moment and are quite agressive unless you give them a wide birth - i did see one Dam with four yellow chicks (cute..)

i fished some log jams and plunge pools on the way back with a #18 black zebra but no luck either.

so, a nice morning out before Lunch, but next time - Garman road upwards i think !

I know c&r is a nice place to fish but tryfishing the dha next time if you want more fish. Pm me if you ever want me to show you around. I ve been fishing the fs since i was a kid

When I used to fish it, I found a 8 ft 4 wt seldom wanting. In the warm season when I fished Tricos and ants, I had a 7ft 6 in 3 wt that worked well. I myself wouldn't want to go outside this assortment.
Syl.

Back