Fall Smallmouth

T

tmk1086

I was wondering if anyone had some tips for catching river smallies in the late summer into fall. I would like to use dry flies if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Helgaramites and stonecats!!!!!!

How do you usually fish a helgramite? do you just throw it upstream and let it drift near the bottom?

If the streams around you have a hex hatch, you can catch bass on yellow bodied stimulators and sofa pillows. I also tie up a "wulff" pattern for the hatch.

hook; sz 8 streamer hook
wing & tail; brown bucktail
body: yellow larva lace foam
rib: red floss
hackle: furnace brown and grizzly

The hex hatch around here goes on into mid-August. It's probably your best chance (along with the white fly hatch) to catch bass on traditional dry flies. You could also try hopper patterns, spiders and beetles.

Funny you should mention the hex. I found a mayfly on my window this morning. I live a half mile or so as the crow flies from the Monongahela River and the only waters closer are tiny runoff creeks. It was on the small side for a hex and was light like a grey fox with black mottled wings, two tails. It may have been a spinner, I didn't pay close attention now that I think about it, but recollection is that the wings were clear except for the mottling.

This looks fairly close to what I saw:

hex-1a2.jpg

Here are a few things that work for hotter weather, lower water SMB:

1) In the hottest weather, the bass will usually not be far from broken water. Sometimes, they'll hold in water you;d think would wash the hide off a trout, let alone a bass...

2) Regardless of the temperature, you can catch fish all day by fishing shaded banks.

3) You don't need dry flies unless that's what you really want to do. Generally, even during a hatch, river bass don't care about this stuff. Use a popper. But use a smaller popper than you think you need. You'll catch more smallies on a size 8 than a size 4 popper. Fish your popper everywhere you think a bass might be, including in heavier water. They'll come up for it.

4) In my view, the most versatile and effective smallmouth bass fly there is is a simple black rabbit fur leech, 2.5 to 3.5 inches in length. Sizes 4 through 8. Dark brown is also good. I think one of these leeches is worth a mixed bushel of Clouser crayfish and deep minnows. You can strip them (less effective) or dead drift them slightly off the bottom (most deadly, IMO). Another really good bass fly is Tim Holschlag's Holschlag Hackle Fly. Here it is:

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns6.asp?page=2

A couple other really effective patterns are Harry Murray's strymph and hellgrammite patterns. Again, the strymph is best (IMO) in black or drk brown.

I think all these other subsurface patterns work best when dead drifted or gently "walked" along likely cover. But some guys swear by a deliberate or organized retrieve of some sort.

That's all I know...

What is the truth about the Susqy, I have heard reports all over the place, from horrible fishing to good fishing, which is it?? I know not too long ago the river was considered the finest smallmouth fishery in the East?

Hi,

The susquehanna is very tricky 1st off the water is extremely low at this time the last time out on a kayak trip i saw lots of smallies but they saw me first and were not interested in anything but being left alone the ones that were caught were in deep fast riffles behind rock outcrops i have only been out a few times on the river being a serious trout man myself was talked into trying these fish out and was very impressed by not only the average size 13 to 18 inch smallmouth but by their fight i am very much looking forward to some rain and september to give these guys another try

S,

Parachute hoppers in sizes 8 and larger are a load of fun on the surface and if you strip them in the film, smallies love 'em. Big flashback nymphs have been working for me in our local rivers.

Back