Fall fly

sandfly

sandfly

Here's a pic of a fly I came up with for the Fall. Been working great on the Browns. Getting good reports from customers who have been fishing it. Its Large a #6 eagle claw #1197 in gold or silver.

Attachments

• 10-31-09 003_thumb.jpg
    10-31-09 003_thumb.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 8
Nice tie-looks like a good crayfish imitating pattern

Maybe a cinnamon sedge emerger?

The nymph of the cinnamon sedge or caddis is bright green. Don't know about the emerger.

that would be a pupae not a nymph Chaz

osprey wrote:
that would be a pupae not a nymph Chaz

It would be a larva not a pupa. Pupa and emerger are the same thing.

Not that it matters much, but to me the stages go:

Mayfly: egg - nymph - emerger - dun - spinner

caddis: egg - larva - pupa - adult - egg laying adult

Stonefly: egg - nymph - adult

The above is a generaliztion. There's a lot more to it, since there are variations dependent on the species. Emerger is actually more of a fishing term than a scientific term describing the insect when it's in the process of changing from a nymph to a dun.

Isn't the pupae the stage of a caddis right before it leaves the water?that's what i meant , that stage , while it's gettin ready to fly is when it's most vulnerable , just a second or two and i'm sure after it sheds it's cinnamon not green.

Most fall caddis species are a dirty cream to light green color as a larva. they then leave the stick cases and build a stone case. They then change color to a orange hue when they pupate..as an adult they have a light orange color with shades of tan to brown. I think this is why they take this fly it resembles the pupa emerging and rising to the surface.

osprey wrote:
Isn't the pupae the stage of a caddis right before it leaves the water?that's what i meant , that stage , while it's gettin ready to fly is when it's most vulnerable , just a second or two and i'm sure after it sheds it's cinnamon not green.

Ah, I thought you meant that the "nymph" should be called a pupa.

There's actually no "emerger" stage.
Just... egg, nymph, adult OR egg, larva, pupa, adult.

Emergence is a transitional period, not a stage.

I once heard this from a great fisherman (maybe he'll chime in) and give his philosophy. According to him the pattern "sulhpur emerger" shoud be re-named an emerging sulphur dun.

I agree M mayflies have nymphs , duns adults and spinners right? Oh and eggs too.

Thanks Sandfly , you said what i meant , and said it better i might add , that insect , cinnamon sedge shows up all over the state in the fall but i've never seen it as intense as in the Yellow Breeches , when the YB trout are paying attention to that fly it's a blast. Mountain creek too.

Back