Fall Fishing: Blue Winged Olive CDC Cripple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great! Awesome tie. Is there anyway when we click on the photo we can get a bit more detail?

Last edited:
W
Looks great! Awesome tie. Is there anyway when we click on the photo we can get a bit more detail?

Last edited:
W

Last edited:
DGC
That Dohiku is a fascinating hook. Thanks for the tutorial.

wsender, if you click the PDF option, the photos are in a larger format. See if that helps.

Last edited:
DGC

wsender, if you click the PDF option, the photos are in a larger format. See if that helps.

Last edited:
DGC

Last edited:
DaveKile
By Dean Myers (djmyers)

fallstream1.jpg
Fall and winter are times to experience some fun Blue Winged Olive hatches. The flies are going to be small but it can be exciting. When fishing during a BWO hatch you may have your best luck in moderate to slow runs and back eddies. These small flies often struggle breaking through the surface, so emerger patterns are often very successful fly patterns to use. Two of my favorite patterns to use are a Foam Biot Emerger and a CDC Cripple.

I have been tying these and other flies commercially for the last couple years for customers and fly shops. You can find out a little more about me and see these flies and other patterns that I have listed here at Myflies.com .

BWO CDC Cripple info
I like this pattern because of the use of CDC. I have found that you can be really creative with CDC and it fishes really well too. It creates a lot of movement and can be life giving to your fly.
Hook: Dohiku G644
Thread: Olive 8/0
Tail: dun antron
Body: Olive biot or Olive died peacock herl
Wing: Dun CDC
Thorax/head: small amount of dubbing

Instructions:
Step 1: Tie in the tail material. I like to have the tail material the length of the hook so that I can have an even body to wrap the biot or the peacock herl onto. After it is secured, move the thread to the back of the hook and cut the length of the tail to desired length.
dm1.jpg

More after the break here.

franklin
I found that the same pattern with a bit more antron trailing off the tail to simulate the nymph shuck to be deadly. especially on overcast days. Nice article.

Last edited:
franklin
I found that the same pattern with a bit more antron trailing off the tail to simulate the nymph shuck to be deadly. especially on overcast days. Nice article.

Last edited:
franklin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back