Experience of building first fly rod.

h0ll0whill

h0ll0whill

This is a long post on my experience building my first rod. There are not much posts about rod building and hope that this will help anyone that was any questions or is looking into it.

After much research, i decided to go for it and ordered a MHX 3wt 7'6" kit. Decided on the kit because it came with all parts and i knew they would fit with each other. Also ordered a beginner supply kit that came with some tools and epoxy.

While waiting for the kit looked into rod building stations. Can't believe they want $75 for one. Luckily for me my old man has a wood shop in his basement. So i headed over there and spent an evening building one with him. While talking with him he also gave me a rat tail file that use to belong to my grandfather (pretty cool imo)
iphone048.jpg

So after a couple days the kit showed up and i got right to work. Fiting the reel seat and handle to the blank. After it all fit epoxied the reel seat.

iphone049.jpg

After a couple hours epoxied the handle on.

iphone050.jpg

Once that cured it was time to space out the guides. The kit came with a spacing chart so you just have to measure and tape them on.

iphone051.jpg

Now comes the difficult part (for me atleast) of wrapping the guides. After talking with people they all said "take your time and be patient". I can't agree with them more. It took me a while to get the hang of it but finally got the guides on.

iphone052.jpg

Now it was time to test the guide spacing. I placed a reel on the rod and strung the line through the guides. Pulling the line gently it bent the rod and could see that no adjustment was needed.

After that it was time for decorative wraps. Now once again i recommend taking your time and getting them right. I had almost all the guide wraps unravel while trying to get the decorative ones on it got me pretty frustrated. But i stuck with it and got it done.

iphone053.jpg

Now once again i could not see spending $80 on a rod turner. So i went to Lowes and picked up a grill rotisserie some pvc and a couple thumb bolts. Built a home made one for around $25.

iphone054.jpg

So with the rod turner. I put on two coats of color preservator. I must say, my next rod will get another coat.

iphone055.jpg

Now comes the part that scared me the most. Epoxing the wraps. After much more research i went for it and must say it was easier then i thought. After doing it, it definately build my confidence up.

iphone056.jpg

So now it has cured and i am pretty happy with it. There are some default in it but i was expecting that for my first rod.
My mistake came with applying the color preservator. Didn't realize it didn't put enough on and in some spots it dried with bubbles.
But it was a good experience and i can't wait to get it on the water.

rod005.jpg

rod004.jpg

I think it looks good. Very innovative with the tools. An A+ on every thing.

Very nice job and a great post! I enjoyed it, thanks.

Nice job. A+. Great detailed post and I am planning to steal some of your ideas for a building station. Where did you get the square stock for the rod turner and how did you attach it to the PVC holder? Epoxy? Thanks for posting.

Don

Thanks for the compliments!

dsmith - the stock came with the grill rotisserie. the one end was threaded... so i cut it with a hacksaw and drilled a whole the size of the treads of the stock in the pvc cap. It's then attached using washers and a bolt.

Heck yeah man! rod looks great, you have your first one done, know what to do and not to do next time, and still the rod looks awesome! plus the wraps are sharp, nice color selections! this weekend marks my bamboo restoration build, reel seat and silk arrived today, guides and calipers will be here tomorrow, i should go get some bark drying so i can have my grip done this weekend...

I've built 4 rods and I remember where I was fishing and what I caught when I caught the first fish on each of them. It'll be fun, now let us know about you first outing with it.

Nice going, now you're bitten and will not be able to stop building others as well!

Heads up - goto a hardware store and get 2 rubber "O" rings big enough to stretch across the open mouth of that PVC and wrap around the bases of the opposing thumb screws.

If you do that you wind up with a cross pattern in the middle of the opening with a middle opening about 1/ 4 " that easily stretches to accept the butt of a rod. The one I have works this way and is a fast way to secure & remove the butt.

Thanks again for the compliments!!!

Well i ordered a Redington Rise reel for the new rod and it came. Finally got to get the rod out on the water. I have to say the MHX blank is very nice and casts very well. Will definately use them again. Was out on the Lil Lehigh and got this guy on the new rod. It was an awesome feeling landing a fish with a rod i built and a fly i made.
photo4.jpg

Nice rod, nice fish and nice reel! You'll like the Rise and it complements your rod very well.

I want to start my own build now...

Nice rod, I plan to build my first rod this winter, my question is were you simultaneously making wine during your rod building process?

Lazio - i was using my old mans basement since i didnt have the room at my house. Yes he makes his own wine. Kinda nice because its temp and moisture monitored. But definately a fun project and about to start my next rod. A 7wt switch rod.

Back