Excellent Euro / Tightline Nymphing Video

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
If you tightline nymph already or wish to try this method, I guarantee you will learn something by watching this video with Tom Rosenbauer featuring George Daniel.

Funny - I watched this last night and I agree with your review. He musta fished with JayL on spring in high water to learn that stuff.

Wow...That is a great video. George shares a ton of info here. He explains the technique in a very straight forward manner. His books are loaded with great knowledge on fly fishing also. I liked the way he gave props to his mentor, Joe Humphreys(living legend). Great job George! Hey, his student in the video isn't too shabby either. Tom has put out some excellent books as well.

Anyone try using heavy mono as a fly line for euro nymphing? I'd like to tie up a leader with 20-30ft of line to attach to the end of my regular floating WF line so I could euro nymph and then take that line off to fish dries with out changing rod and reel. Would shooting lines for spey casters work?

I just saw that Rio has a line with 2 looped ends you can attach to your regular fly line - then put on your euro leader and fish tightline. you can take this off and go back to fishing regular fly line - Check out the Rio site under nymph lines

I’ve used 20lb amnesia and 30lb lazar line and they both worked just fine for tight line fishing. You can cast streamers surprisingly well with both too so if you want to tightline up and streamer fish on the way back down you don’t have to change lines/reels/leaders. The handling of the line is difficult though with cold wet hands.

kbobb wrote:
I just saw that Rio has a line with 2 looped ends you can attach to your regular fly line - then put on your euro leader and fish tightline. you can take this off and go back to fishing regular fly line - Check out the Rio site under nymph lines

I saw that but didn't feel like spending $60 if I could achieve the same result with plain mono

ryc72 wrote:
I’ve used 20lb amnesia and 30lb lazar line and they both worked just fine for tight line fishing. You can cast streamers surprisingly well with both too so if you want to tightline up and streamer fish on the way back down you don’t have to change lines/reels/leaders. The handling of the line is difficult though with cold wet hands.
I was wondering about the line handling, I know there are some lines for shooting heads that might work and have a better hand but I've never messed with them before.

theoriginalnickyp wrote:
ryc72 wrote:

I was wondering about the line handling, I know there are some lines for shooting heads that might work and have a better hand but I've never messed with them before.

A cheaper/free alternative for better line handling, mending (when using it for non-Euro type fishing) and lessening line sag for tight-line nymphing is simply cutting 30' off the back end of a WF trout line, aka the thing diameter running line.

It achieves all of the aforementioned pretty well without going out to buy anything.

You can easily rig a loop on each end for easy on and off.

Give it a try.

Great idea, plus I just changed out my fly line.

theoriginalnickyp wrote:
kbobb wrote:

I saw that but didn't feel like spending $60 if I could achieve the same result with plain mono

Rio "Euro nymph Shorty" line - $29.99 on Rios website.

I used mono for a while but it coiled like crazy - esp in colder weather. got a Euro specific fly line on closeout for $29 and it works great - no coils, limp but doesn't sag. rarely get any out of the tip. of the rod tho.

Gonna try the back end of an old fly line and see how I like it, was thinking with the long mono leader that not much of it would be coming off the reel anyway. Thanks for the tips!

I tried the Rio Shorty at Penns last week. I had been carrying an extra reel and swapping it out. It’s just not that “short” so it’s a pain in the arse to change over. I am seriously considering cutting it in half to manage easier. FYI, I use a slight variation of Lance Eagan’s formula for my leader. My nymph game has totally changed.

Great video and the graphics really drive home the point of why this technique is effective. I used it in higher water yesterday and it was just the ticket.

To those asking about line, I use 30lb. Lazar Line and if you stretch it out it won't coil and it casts surprisingly well. The bright line also helps with detecting strikes, although I felt most of the strikes yesterday.

Good video and I like George and have shared this, but:

I would think that the tags in the sighters might create drag. They also have a hard time going through rod yes when pulling all of that mono in.

I also disagree that central PA does not get a lot of sun. I fish there a lot and there have been weeks where there was not a cloud. I have also been there when it never stopped raining. :)

Just some other thoughts.

Just a follow up, after a few outings with the back end of the old fly line I realized it rarely leaves the rod guides if I'm using a long enough leader. Been just fixing the leader to my regular WF fly line, it's probably 20 ft of 20lb Maxima plus a sighter and then 5-8ft of tippet attached to a tippet ring. The maxima takes some getting used to when handling but isn't too bad. I try to keep as much on the reel as possible so there is less to manage. Very effective way to fish.

Back