Was on Kettle Potter County 5-28 -24
Using a small 14 to 16 bead head
Hooked a stock Bow with another small bead head broken off
Removed my bead head and the other
Used the one that was in the bow the next day
And hooked up!
Actually this was the second time I hooked someone elses broken off fly

Steve 98
I have caught two fish this year that had someone else's fly still in them. Removed both. I have caught many trees over the years where I found other people's flies in the same branch.

Several years ago while fishing steelhead I hooked and landed about a 8lb fish. When I looked closely the hook point of my fly passed thru the eye of some other guys hook. With everything removed the fish swam off unharmed.

Several years ago while fishing steelhead I hooked and landed about a 8lb fish. When I looked closely the hook point of my fly passed thru the eye of some other guys hook. With everything removed the fish swam off unharmed.
That has to be a one in a million shot

I caught a trout by hooking the loop of nylon tied to a snelled hook that was imbedded in the trout’s mouth. I safely removed the snelled hook and returned the fish to the stream. I properly discarded the snelled hook.

I caught a trout by hooking the loop of nylon tied to a snelled hook that was imbedded in the trout’s mouth. I safely removed the snelled hook and returned the fish to the stream. I properly discarded the snelled hook.

I like that!! Here's something similar...

I was fishing on Cross Fork one afternoon & clobbering them on a Purple & Snipe soft hackle I tie using purple wire for the body. I had the Purple & Snipe on a dropper below an EWC.

I busted off my next to last Purple & Snipe in a fish and I was paranoid I'd be down to none so I contemplated walking back to the car to restock my Richardson Box.

A few casts later, I hooked a fish on the same set-up and when I brought the fish to hand, I discovered my Purple & Snipe was hooked on the bend of the Purple & Snipe I broke off in the fish, not IN the fish... :oops:

In other words I caught the same fish again AND got my fly back!!

BTW - Just so you know, I didn't bother walking back to the car to restock. ;)

That has to be a one in a million shot
Maybe. I've had the same thing happen. Remember, the fish is essentially lining thing up for you.

I've also has something similar to what Bamboozle describe happen to me (except it was a Partridge and Orange, not a Snipe and Purple.

I've snagged broken off tippet in a fish as well.

All told, I've probably caught about 10 fish with flies already in them over 60+ years. It's not common, but not unheard of, either.

Maybe. I've had the same thing happen. Remember, the fish is essentially lining thing up for you.

I've also has something similar to what Bamboozle describe happen to me (except it was a Partridge and Orange, not a Snipe and Purple.

That's awesome!!

BTW - Has anyone ever caught a fish with a transistor radio inside of it like Gilligan..?

I've landed a few Salmon River kings that look like they spent time in a piercing parlor.

I've snagged broken off tippet in a fish as well.

All told, I've probably caught about 10 fish with flies already in them over 60+ years. It's not common, but not unheard of, either.
I take it you don't fish steelhead LOL. I bet I catch more than ten fish every season up there that have "jewelry" in them. In some cases it's daily. Insane fishing pressure and lots of foul hooking (both intentional and inadvertent).

No, but I caught a spinning rod with reel attached thru the tip top on the Salmon river! The 2 pcs were still rubber banded together. Must have fell off of a drift boat. Looked brand new. Another time surf fishing down at the Outer Banks I broke a rig off as I casted it. Fished the same spot the next day & snagged that rig!

Not me personally, but a lifelong (now departed) friend of my father-in-law's broke off a trout near one of the upper dirt roads that cross Slate Run. He cast over the same submerged rock all day until he caught the same fish and retrieved the broken off fly. I didn't see it happen, but my father-in-law showed us the rock where Bob hooked the same fish in one day.

Since I ffish highly pressured and molested waters, I frequently accumulate other people's flies and gear courtesy of trouts. I've caught several trouts by snagging a snell they were wearing. Trees, bushes and parking lots have yielded excellent harvests of flies as well as spinning lures, gear and line (which I actually use for chasing sunnies but also to build trout leaders - when using 8X, sun-rotted spinning line isn't the weak link, plus the porous surface retains floatant well and doesn't throw reflections).

I used to break off a lot more, when my technique wasn't as good (an age thang - hah!) and (mainly) tippet wasn't as strong. If the break-off trout started to rise again, I would work for hours trying to retrieve my fly. I actually got it done a handful of times: I would have to shift to a different pattern than the fish was wearing.

Not me personally, but a lifelong (now departed) friend of my father-in-law's broke off a trout near one of the upper dirt roads that cross Slate Run. He cast over the same submerged rock all day until he caught the same fish and retrieved the broken off fly. I didn't see it happen, but my father-in-law showed us the rock where Bob hooked the same fish in one day.
The day i learned the power of a Yellow Sally, I was sitting on a rock on the Brodheads. It was a sunny day, a beauty but not much was happening. I found a Yellow Adams that I had tied decades earlier and never used, so I put it on and dangled it just to see how it floated. I was concerned that the spent grizz wings and my Orvis Flea (cane 6'6" 4wt but more of a 3) would cast it. I never got a chance to find out since a 13" brookie broke the silence and blasted it. I was so surprised that I broke it off, despite the Flea being an exceptionally forgiving rod. Not having another Adams, much less a yellow one, I dug through my stash and put on another fly with a yellowish body. Just for the heck of it, I dangled that one again - I had needed to replace a couple feet of 7X. Bam, and another explosive smash. But this time I was ready and after a nice fight, brought the brookie to hand. I looked, and sure enough, 2 feet of shiny 7X was hanging out of his lips, but I couldn't see my Adams since he had swallowed it. At least I did clip off a couple of feet of the 7X.

Didn't happen to me, but I witnessed it.
Several years ago on the Salmon River, my cousin hooked a fish that was fighting very oddly. Once it got in a little ways we realized he had hooked someone's rope/"stringer" that was tied to a salmon that was still kinda alive.

I haven't caught a fish with another fly still in it. I have caught the same brookie with a snelled hook further down than I felt comfortable removing twice. Apparently it was still taking bugs so it couldn't have been that much of an issue.

Another incident some years ago on the W branch of the Farmington in CT, the Hendrickson had been underway for a week or so and a saw a rather large fish gobbling duns in a small back channel of the river. I threw my biot body Hendrickson to him and he took it proudly. A pretty good back and forth took place but the fish finally took me downstream and into a blowdown and broke me off. I hung around after the hatch ate some dinner and went back to the same pool that evening to see if spinners would show. Sure enough some spinners in the air I see a fish feeding very close to where I had hooked the fish earlier but the eat didn’t look the same. But I throw my spinner and the fish takes and blows a big hole in the water. This time I slip him into the net look in his mouth and my Hendrickson is smack in the middle of his upper jaw. I took that out and tucked into the band on my hat where it stayed and weathered so long that it was only a bare hook with a few turns of thread left.

Back