evening fly hatch

D

Daren

Looking for enlightenment... Past two evenings i have fished Codorus creek and encountered the same perplexing situation. Just at dark the fish turn on and start rising aggressively(out of water) What kind of fly "hatches" at dark?

Thanks for any input or ideas
Daren

Daren,

Probably an egg laying spinner of some sort. Maybe cahills, they were doing it at the Breeches the other day.

I would just put a spinner on and slap it down where you see this happening.

Maurice

I don't believe the cahill is the typical "rusty spinner" color though. Try a small (18) white parachute with a green butt to closely imitate the cahill spinner. It's worked for me anyhow.

Padraic

Padraic wrote:

I don't believe the cahill is the typical "rusty spinner" color though. Try a small (18) white parachute with a green butt to closely imitate the cahill spinner. It's worked for me anyhow.

Padraic

What color should I make the eyes??? Seriously though, the spinner I was using was a CDC spent wing, white #14. But at dark with fish "missling" it probably don't matter much. These fish are looking up for flies to come into range and shooting up for them. They have a shaky trigger finger. Something hits the water on top of them and chances are they are not going to inspect it very closely.

On the other hand, I had fish in front of me that porposed all night to I guess these little white no see 'ums. got them to look at a white midge a time or two but they were just on the other side of a drag seam. Tough fish. They didn't care for the white spinner. They never do. I believe there is a heirarchy in pressured areas whereby fish that have been "fooled" find lies that are difficult to drift dragless. Leaving the lesser status fish with the seconds or whatever is left on the converor belt. This makes them less selective. But I am talking about stocked trout here. Wild fish are a little different. IMHO.

Maurice

On the Codorus--maybe it was caddis doing some egg-laying--haven't fished there since last spring. I had the same thing going on in the Lackawanna last week that started in mid-afternoon. It appeared to be caddis although there were some mighty small bugs around as well. I didn't stay til dark but did manage to fool one on a parachute adams--size 18. Things get tough for me when wild browns act like that. There was some underneath action as well.

What color should I make the eyes??? Seriously though, the spinner I was using was a CDC spent wing, white #14. But at dark with fish "missling" it probably don't matter much. These fish are looking up for flies to come into range and shooting up for them. They have a shaky trigger finger. Something hits the water on top of them and chances are they are not going to inspect it very closely.

Hey, you can catch trout on Green Drake Duns in October if you're lucky. I'm just trying to tell the guy what I would use if I though Cahill Spinners were hitting the water...

For what it's worth you're right, of course. Trout are probably more keyed into the sight/sound of the flies "splatting" down to lay their eggs. In this case, I would definately worry more about presentation than pattern. But having a pattern that is close can't hurt.

Padraic

http://shop.flyfishing.about.com/fly_archive/details/452.htm

Pad,
was at the Tulpehocken on saturday, and around mid-day little size 18 spinners with green wiggly *** butts were plentiful and fish were sipping them....i thought they were little olives but could they be cahills? confused.

jeff

The cahill spinners are larger than #18, so I don't that's what you saw. Also, the cahill spinner is a bright white.

Well... still confused but at least i have some ideas to work off of. thanks for all of the input guys.

Look up in the air that will help you. Could be hex's.

Back