Euro/Tightlining for steelhead...

C

chrism80

So I have been successfully using the euro/tightline nymphing for trout for the past few years and would like to hone this skill on steelhead. What I have been pondering is what would be the most ideal rod to use for this. For trout I started out with a 10’ 4 wt greys streamflex and moved on to a sage ESN 10’ 3 wt and the feel these rods offer is great. However I don’t foresee using a 3 wt for steelhead being very wise [ for the fish or the rod]. So generally one would use a 7 wt for steelhead but I don’t imagine the feel one gets from the lighter weights is going to be there. Reading some of the reviews from say the Cortland competition nymph rods seem to indicate the tips are very flexible and the butts are more like a 5wt on the actual 3 wt model, so this makes me think the 4 wt version might be up to the task but have not handled one in person. Just looking to bounce ideas around and see what everyone else thinks.

I think you have to be more specific , Erie run or Salmon river ?

Very good point. Erie run , they ought be more forgiving.

I fish Erie quite often and as you said it's a nymphing mans game. 90% of guides up there will say a 10 foot 7 weight is the ideal rod. I have friends who fish a 5 weight and others who fish an 8. It's all about what you have and what you need. I've been fishing a 10foot 7 weight and I think you can feel plenty on the rod. You want a soft tip to help feel the flies and I honestly think a more moderate action helps in protecting the lighter tippets you sometimes need up there. I think a 6 or 7 weight in 10 feet is ideal. Don't spend an arm and a leg on a trib rod through. They get beat up, placed on rocks and I've seen more rods broken on the tribs than I can count. I may be biased but I think there's a certain company out there that has a pretty good 10 foot 7 weight built for these situations...

I agree the 7wt 10" is the normal. I can also see how a slower action would be much better suited as well. I guess im more so curious as how the cortland competition 4 wt would hold up. Theres no way i would use my 4 wt stream flex. Just wondering as the reviews i have read indicated the butts are more stout on these. If any one has this rod and could offer an option id greatly appreciate as i don't believe anyone very local stocks them to see first hand.

I use a 10' 6 wt.
Personally I would not go lighter than a 6wt after that your going to stress the fish or brake the rod. Been there done that. Rod warranties are good to have but they can be expensive and very inconvenient.

I'm sure you could land steelhead on a3 or 4 weight but it's not the right tool for the job. With that being said, steelhead do not reproduce in pa so I guess you're not hurting much by fighting the fish to exhaustion.

All good points, so what is everyone's favorite rod to use up in
Erie? As far as slower actions with sensitivity.

Back