Euro Nymphing

Cal

Cal

I recently learned about Euro Nymphing and was curious of any good budget nymphing rods, I don’t have much to spend just wondering what could be an option. I have watched reviews on Max Catch rods just haven’t used or knew much about them.

I am not a euro nympher but people seem to like Echo rods. How about the echo carbon xl? If you can't afford the $170 they run I recommend at least saving for a rod in that range or more..I wouldn't buy a super cheap rod.

Orvis Clearwater 10' 3wt package.

I can speak to the Cortland Competitive nymph rod and the Clearwater. Both would serve you well. Don't make the same mistake I did and buy the nymph fly line. You don't need it. Just buy cheap line or use mono to the backing. It will rarely come off the reel.

I started out with using crappie pole rods as blanks 20 years ago (heavy and awkward) and then upgraded to the older Greys Streamflex 10' 3 wt in 2009. Loved that rod and it was very versatile - did well with dries and OK with streamers. Recently got the Moonshine Epiphany 10' 6" 3 wt rod and it is an upgrade for nymphing but I think it is more specialized and doesn't do dries or streamers as well. Therefore, I may go to the stream with two rods if I expect to do both dry and nymph fishing. My fishing buddy has the Cortland 10' 6" 3 wt nymphing rod and loves it.

As for lines, if you have a beat up WF line, reverse it and use the running line side as the fly line. That has worked well for me and recycles older WF lines.

+1 to what dwa111 & Rainier42 said. The Cortland 10’ 6” 3wt would serve you well as would the Orvis Clearwater 10’.

Syndicate P2 1034 in 3wt. would be a wise choice.

I see this packet---taken advantage of----robbed in reality. 40 bucks for scrap fly line and a blend of 25 cents of mono! fly line, tied to fly line.

No fly line needed in Euro. I am sitting here with a gray pocket shirt. On The Fly, Fly fishermen's Tournament. A reminder of Nothing. I believe an Orvis shirt. Yep, Orvis buttons on it. Some buttons broke, a reminder of what is broke!

Like the buttons, like the time, like the now------broken! I should mount this shirt, to recall, all that went wrong!

I will sum it up quick! Greed!

Maxima12

I have fished the Cabela's CZN or whatever it is and it is a great super low budget option. The Syndicate p2 is your next in line as they are purpose built rods. not saying the cortland or orvis sticks aren't good but a p2 is great and will do what you ask it to.

Hey thanks for all the feedback! I will definitely look at those options. It does seem euro rods are a bit more expensive then normal fly rods

Define normal?

You can buy max catch or whatever chinese amazon brand of choice, cabelas or bass pro branded rods and many other entry level rods from other brands are next. Then you start stepping into the mid level range 2-500. From here up is where the "normal" rods get pricey and top end models from most manufacturers are in the $1000 range.

You can get a pretty high level nymph rod for under $500.

I am in the market for a rod better suited for nymphing myself, but I want a rod capable of throwing dries as well. I am in no hurry and have fished with several from the cortland, orvis clear water, syndicate etc. Just haven't quite found what I am looking for yet. I really want to fish the rod before buying and am in no hurry to do so as my favorite fishing involves small stream dry dropper fishing where a 10' rod is out of place.

Well, I guess I had meant the rods like the 9 ft 5wt rods, but “normal” wasn’t the best choice of a description.

Cal, I am not one to spend a lot of money or rods that I may want a new version of in a few years. I like the recs above about Cortland and the Orvis. I have the Clearwater 10' 3 wt, which is okay for the money. I find a 4 is a better all around rod for bigger rivers, so I also have a 10'6" Echo Shadow 2 in 4 wt. I know plenty of guys, including myself who tightline nymphed with a 10' 4wt that was not a euro taper long before the competition style blew up. Also, watch a video or two on how to tie a mono rig, which in many cases can be better than the FIPS lines. I use a combo of 20 lb then 15 lb, down to 12 lb Maxima or comparable leader material. That also allows you to do more than just tightline. I fish places like the Lehigh River with that leader and a bobber even. Unless it's really windy, a mono leader will even mend just fine. The rod and the leader need not limit your fishing in any way, I have found. I even toss streamer with the Echo. Some of those 2 weights are limiting, I think, so we will likely see a swing back to longer all around rods like the Clearwater that can also throw a line if you need to. With a mono leader or even the "shorty" FIPS lines, you don't even need to carry an extra spool or reel to switch to a tapered leader and a dry fly at dusk. 2 bills for a rod, and a reel that will balance a longer rod (so sometimes you might have to size up a reel to a 4/5 to balance a 3 wt) and you are good to go!

I’ve got a rod for sale that would get you into the Euro game fairly cheaply. You’d just have to pick up a reel for it. Price is flexible - we can work something out.

Cabela's CZN rod

Thanks for all the help I actually got a syndicate 10ft 3wt and its great!

I am not a euro nympher but people seem to like Echo rods. How about the echo carbon xl? If you can't afford the $170 they run I recommend at least saving for a rod in that range or more..I wouldn't buy a super cheap rod.
I use an Orvis 10ft Clearwater. Wife has a regular Clearwater for dries/nymphing. Great rods for the price.

Back