Euro nymphing Flies.

hunter1

hunter1

I just started Euro nypmhing. I orderd some Tungston bead flies, I have a lot of beads head nymphs already. They have brass beads on them. In Euro do you have to use only Tungston flies, or can you use both Brass and Tungston. Or can you use tacky weight to add to the flies to get them down.Thanks.

tungsten beadheads or back to indi fishing imo. you could use brass ones still but the idea is to pack all the weight into the flies so that there is no pinch points or any suspension or anything just rod-reel-line-flies. Tungsten will also help IMMENSELY in getting to where you want to in the typically heavier currents and keeping your profile where it needs to be.

What you could do to avoid retying your nymphs is tie up some fairly heavy tungsten point flies then use a brass dropper to get you to the proper weight and still use the tactic as advertised. I'm sure there are tons of work arounds and other ways to do it but I learned from comp guys so I tend to fish more like them.

Thanks DrakeKing. I'll try it.

Try tying flies in heavier weights as well as lighter weights to get you down in the zone, depending on the depth and speed of the water.

Tungsten beads in different weights for heavy flies. You can even add lead or lead substitute wire with the beads to tie really heavy flies. I call them my "bomber" flies.

Brass beads for moderate weight flies work well with an option to add wire to make them a little heavier.

Ideally you should end up with flies to handle most any fishing situation.

A tip that works is to tie off different weight flies with different colored thread or a certain color hotspot to differentiate the weight of the fly in your fly box.

Good luck.

Yes, you can add weight to the leader with putty or split shot.

In competition fishing that is not allowed.

But if you not in a competition, sure, go for it.

Thank's for all the info. Will give everything a try.

As I recall, in the early days of beadhead nymphs, brass beads where what was used, and that tungsten beads came later.

I'll post my euro box at some point today or this week, it will illustrate what afish is talking about. I have many rows of frenchies and other ties, they're just all in different sizes and weights though and arranged accordingly. Properly fishing euro requires you to be ready for many changing water conditions even hole to hole if you want to go full tilt and fish each shot to the fullest.

If I'm being completely honest I usually reach for a 3.3mm and a 2.3mm bead and fish it all day unless there is a shot I really like or something isn't working. A phenomenal source for comp related supplies (tungsten, tying junk, etc.) is Devin Olson's shop tacticalflyfisher.com. To streamline I just use his beads and they're a great price. Feel free to pm

troutbert wrote:
Yes, you can add weight to the leader with putty or split shot.

In competition fishing that is not allowed.

But if you not in a competition, sure, go for it.

^This cannot be said enough when the topic of "Euro" nymphing comes up. The #1 thing that is being missed is that most of the literature on the topic is being produced by competition guys and they are approaching it from a standpoint of obeying rules which don't exist for everyone else.

Back