Euro nymph rods

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Article describing several Euro nymphing rods in all price ranges >

https://flylordsmag.com/best-entry-level-intermediate-and-advanced-euro-nymphing-rods/?fbclid=IwAR3QHtRAkG3GHQmEEXHczPcntpCiMDV0m0iuCmgxZmoyZUJi39VPhUp5Igg

I have two of these rod/reel combos and both of them are Orvis. Clearwater and Recon.

I want the guests that I bring to my R&G club to have the same basic tackle that I think works in terms of rod length/weight.

I am new to this type of fishing, but am intrigued by it. I do catch trout this way. Sometimes all I want to do is just catch a trout. I really don't care how I do it, but I want to do it with fly fishing rods and reels.

I bought a Euro rod this month, It was a combo deal. Sage Pulse 10' 3 wt ens rod, Redington 5/6 reel, 3 wt line , Rio 25' euro line and a Rio euro leader, and I bought the floro tippet. I wanted to try Euro FF for a few years now. Can't wait. But I did read something like you have listed. Thanks.

I never understood the need to spend close to $1000 on a fishing rod. Ill assume its the same reason why someone would spend $200 on a pair of sneakers.

Mute, I dont believe anyone or the article is saying you need to spend 1000 buck on a rod. The article even has multiple options under$200. We are lucky to have tons of options in the fly-fishing world at many price points.

You're correct that the article did not say that Lyco. But my generically stated comment was based around the high priced options that were.

You get what you pay for. I wouldn't trade my Sage LL rods for anythng. Bought them in the 80's, and still have a warranty. I have less cost rods also, But I myself like quality. My less expencive rods are good, but don't handle as good as my top end rods. It's what ever makes your boat float.

Mute, the good thing about todays market is that if your on a budget you can get on Amazon or Ebay and find numerous chinese rod and reel options for dirt cheap... I do not know many who are using these rods but have several friends who are using maxcatch or similar reels on brookie rods. For most of the trout fishing in Pa cheap reels are fine as they do not do much more than hold line. You will still replace these more often than your stamped or machined metal reels.

hunter1 wrote:
You get what you pay for. I wouldn't trade my Sage LL rods for anythng. Bought them in the 80's, and still have a warranty. I have less cost rods also, But I myself like quality. My less expencive rods are good, but don't handle as good as my top end rods. It's what ever makes your boat float.

True if you have the money to spend then spend it how you want. But a $300 rod is not going to catch you any more fish than $1,000 rod. and it's my true belief that once you basically hit about $400 anything after that you're not seeing any functional difference. Sure maybe some shavings of weight, I want off cool design, whatever floats the boat. also nowadays there's tons of small companies a lot that are local that offer just as good warranties as orvis or any other top brand that you're paying for. Alan fly fishing and risen fly come right to mind I've had great experiences with both of them for years

mute wrote:

True if you have the money to spend then spend it how you want. But a $300 rod is not going to catch you any more fish than $1,000 rod. and it's my true belief that once you basically hit about $400 anything after that you're not seeing any functional difference. Sure maybe some shavings of weight, I want off cool design, whatever floats the boat. also nowadays there's tons of small companies a lot that are local that offer just as good warranties as orvis or any other top brand that you're paying for. Alan fly fishing and risen fly come right to mind I've had great experiences with both of them for years

Fish with some $700+ rods consistently then go back to a $300 and i bet you will change your tune. sure a syndicate smashes fish, i know, but a t&t contact has more accurate and farther casting AND a better tip section than the syndicate. not saying this is true for every offering over your $400 line but most high level rods are high level for a reason other than cool graphics (unless you're buying moonshine or whatever other garbage being peddled)

The TCO guide that taught the euro nymphing course that I took on Spring Creek north of Bellfonte was fishing a T&T fly rod. He couldn't say enough good things about how sensitive it was detecting strikes.

Mute : Then I'm lucky to be able to afford higher priced rods , thanks to God. But it's true if you ever Ff with a higher priced rod, you will get a second job to own one. Look, you like fishing with what you own, I'm not trying to change your mind, Maybe you can catch more fish with your rod than I can with my Sage rods, maybe your a better fly fisher. But man I feel great knowing I have great equipment. I only like three rod companys, Winston, Sage and T & T. I think when I want to replace my Orvis saltwater 9 wt, I'll look at the Winston, or the T & T .Enjoy ypur fly rod, I'm enjoying mine. :pint:

You get what what you pay for in anything.

I realistically know that I am pretty much a beginner/want to get better fly fisherman even though I have many years worth of experience.

I kind of start at the Orvis Clearwater Water level and then upgrade from there.

I really want to improve and will spend $ on basic casting lessons before I go over board on equipment.

Euro Nynphing sure is the craze now. Wonder how long it will last. At any rate the Euro style rod will come in handy when a resurgence in fishing wet flies comes back.

You heard it your whole life, "What goes around, comes back around".

Been searching and studying these rods. It is very hard to find a 13 footer. Lucky 13----more popular in Europe, unknown is USA.

I have a few rods that were relatively costly at the time I purchased them. I also have some less expensive rods that I believe fish much better than their price would suggest - especially rods that were already known as being a good value and were purchased on closeout to make the value even that much better.

With one kid in college and another on the way next year, most of my recent purchases have been of the less costly variety. With that said, I feel much better about my purchase when whatever I buy is made in the U.S.A.

Many of the less expensive rods, even those that fish wonderfully, are made overseas.

Now, with that said, let me get back on topic. Which would be the better entry-level Euro nymph rod - the current Cortland Nymph series or the Echo Carbon XL Euro Nymph?

Back