Euro nymph leader formula

D

Dubtheflyfisher

Recently, I decided to purchase some nymph fly line for my Czech nymph setup and I'm struggling to find a leader formula that works. Any suggestions from the euro guys on here for some leader formulas?

I use a 9ft 0x or 1x tapered leader, then attach about a foot of the umpqua indicator tippet in 2x. Then attach a tippet ring and add 5 or 6 feet of your desired tippet for the water conditions. I dont euro nymph often and that's the only long nymph leader I really know.

From butt to tip:
18" 30lb
18" 20lb
Tippet ring
4-6+ feet of 10lb flour. (Length of this segment will changing depending on user preference based on rod length and fishing conditions/location)
15-24" sighter with Tippet rings at either end. Usually 10lb amnesia.(Again user preference for length)
3-5' Tippet. Either strait 3x fluoro or 3x stepped down to 4x. Occasionally 5x. Droppers tied in at appropriate depth.

I estimate that my total leader length from the end of my line to my weight or anchor fly is usually 14' -16'+ in total length. That is with a 10ft rod. Longer rods will make longer leader arrangements easier.

I use conventional Stren mono from a bulk spool for the butts and PLine 100% fluoro for the 10lb section and the tippet unless, but I often use something like Fluoroflex if I need finer Tippet for the dropper tags.

You will need to make a adjustments to lengths of the 10lb mid section and tippet. You cannot escape this. It's part of the game.
I usually pre-tie my leaders the night before or at the car. I intentionally make the mid section and tippet longer than I think I will need and resize them as soon as I'm on the water. The tippet rings make resizing the various parts of the leader easier as you do not lose length on the adjacent segment when you cut back, and re-tie.

Long term, I usually only have pre-tied butts and sighter, keeping everything else on the spool and tie leaders up as I need them. The butts and sighter last forever, particularly if you are not using the butts for indicator rigs or streamer fishing also.

There are more complex leader schemes out there but what I've described is dead simple and effective. You can play around d with stepping down the mid section rather than going straight from 20lb to 10lb. I don't really see the need for this though.

For what it's worth, I leave the 30lb-20lb butt on my line almost all the time and build my indicator and streamer leaders off of it. Occasionally I will leave it on for dry fly work, particularly with large flies. It takes more work to build a dry fly leader off of it though, so I usually just swap out from a furled leader or conventional leader.

I use a 20’ section or so of 15lb mono, currently im using the high vis maxima or chameleon works well. Basically looking for something stiffer. From that use whatever sighter material you like, I really like the Jan Siman for the visibility, about a 2 foot section to small black bird swivel [helps with line twist] then 4-6’ of fluro. The best thing you can do is learn to tie blood knots well. Using the long leader [mono] is a little more difficult at times but offers longer reach without sag In the line and better feel.

Dont overthink it. If you want to eliminate fly line use 20' 20# chameleon, 18" 15# chameleon, 8" 10# gold stren, 10" 10# sighter (bi-color, or two 6" sections of green and red amnesia), tippet ring. Then add whatever length of tippet you need for depth your fishing.

(I taper from the 20# into my sighter section, you dont have to, its unnecessary. you could just as easily go 20' 20# chameleon straight to a sighter of your choosing then tippet ring then tippet. Would work just fine.)

If you want a comp legal leader, use 9' 0x tapered, sighter of your choice and weight, then tippet.

Here is a good reference. The formulas within may have been mentioned above already.

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/how-to-tie-a-euro-nymphing-leader/

Back