Ethics of trimming a public fishing stream?

D

DJBerg

So by me there is a public trout stream, would it be bad if I went in with a pair of pruning sheers and cut back a few branches, and thorn bushes? My waders are starting to have a religious experience they are getting so holy!

I don't plan on cutting trails, but enough to pass through deer paths with out it shredding my neopreens...

Oh and one other detail, the stream is loaded with beaver dams. So there are only a few crossing spots, and it gets deep but with murky water, it's a guessing game as what is passable and why can get too deep, way too quick...

What do you mean by public trout stream? Banks in a reserve or park,or privately owned?

Private, but marked as a public stream.

Ask the owner.

DJBerg wrote:
Private, but marked as a public stream.

You mean private open to public use through the courtesy of the landowner.

I used to carry a set of hand prunners along with me while fishing the York County waters. The MF rose can get thick. I feel your pain. But I would not go cutting trails on private property to gain better stream access. ON the other hand I have been known to cut my way out of a bad spot to avoid punctures.

I would strongly recommend seeking the owners permission to fashion a passageway along the stream to see where he stands on the idea. HE may come out and help, he may tell you no, he may grant you permission with no involvement.

What WILL occur is his awareness of a respectful user of his property and resource. You might want to show up without waders and rod in hand and be prepared to spend a few moments chatting and see where it goes. Don't push too hard for your goals. Start by thanking him for the use of his property and work you way into the trimming plan.

If you have a local TU chapter they may have a stream steward for the creek section that may know the landowner and his intent on the property. Could save you some time and aggravation. Approach it as you would like to spearhead the effort not that you are looking for them to cut you a path.

But definitely pursue it. It will likely turn out in your favor. I just wouldn't want to be walked up upon while I was trimming brush on someone else's property without their permission.

I'll knock the next time up, sadly it's gonna be a small adventure... Ya know both sides like 3 different properties...

And yeah Maurice I agree, a small set of hand clippers would be honestly ideal. I don't want to go blazing any new pathes, it looks like guys use deer pathes, and that's the same i as I do, just want to keep my $10 neopreens working for the rest of the year... Then maybe next spring ill invest in some fancy light weight waders...

I agree with Maurice, I carrying hand pruners but only use them when I'm stuck.

As much trash as I see in the waters these days...we should all carry large plastic bags with us and do "Catch and Release" Trout and "Catch and Dispose" garbage.

I've carried my waders in a backpack a few times while treking through thick thorn bushes and put them on streamside to avoid the holes.

If you're hiking into a place that remote, I'm sure you'll have no problem ditching the backpack and sneakers somewhere with no fear or someone stealing it.

I always carry a large garbage bag in the car, and fill it with anything I find lying around when I'm ready to leave.
It makes me feel useful.

Back