Estaz stonefly?

A

awojo

Does anyone use estaz for the thorax of stoneflys? If so what colors and how thick to you tie it?
Thanks

I do it for the salmon river steelhead. I'll make the back of the stone black, and then do a few wraps of Estaz, 2-3 depending on the size of the hook for the thorax. Then pull the wing case over it. Quick and easy tie that catches fish.

+1 on salmon river....root beer estaz is a good color. I should try it on trout streams too.

Jim Rusher's Estaz stone is a big staple on the Salmon River.
Years ago i used to tie all estaz black stone on a Alec Jackson 1.5 hook.It was outrageous, an believe it or not it caught fish...never saw a stone that big in my river samples, but it was just hilarious when the Salmon or Steelhead smashed them..

I have done the same on the Salmon River. I also use black and rootbeer estaz and have had success with them.

Rootbeer is always a badass color.

I use estaz for the wing on the dry , adult stonefly imitations and that rootbeer color is light enough to see without going pure white.

rootbeer estaz with gold wingcase has been a good pattern for me. I use large diameter black ultrawire for the abdomen to give the pattern some segmenatation and weight. I also experiment with different color beads...orange, red, black and copper have all produced.

Orange is a common thorax color for a black stonefly, and for steelies I like a blue thorax, but also have some in red or dark pink too.

Back