Erie Tribs Question

cmadison33

cmadison33

With the ice starting to melt I might be making a trip up to Erie this weekend. Ive never fished for Steelhead in the spring and was wondering - do those tribs that are considered "Approved Trout Waters" close March 1-April 18? I know some streams are stocked for trout season so I wasn't sure what the regs are. Couldn't find a clear answer on the Fish commission website. Any answers are appreciated.

You are good until April 16:

http://www.fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/lakeerie.html

Awesome thanks for the response

That said, lower Elk on the webcam shows ice jams as far as the eye can see. Other creeks may be unlocked or even the upper stretches of Elk, but I couldn't say.

The Uncle John webcam shows the ice jams have released on Elk. The water looks high and chalky, but upstream areas may be fishable. Be careful wading.

Thanks. I'll be sticking to upper Elk most likely. Thanks a lot for the heads up.

This the the webcam I have been mentioning. A helpful visual resource and gauge:

http://unclejohn.getmyip.com:86/broadcamframe.jpg

Wow, good to know!! Nice to be able to check water color before making the drive

Just as an FYI, contrary to what many say, PA's tribs do get a fresh spring run once the ice jams break. There's a higher % of jacks than in the fall, but there's adults as well.

But no fresh fish till the ice breaks. And on some years (looking like this one), there isn't a ton of time between spring run and dropback, and quite often both are happening at the same time.

But yeah, the tribs are open to fishing for all but like a day. Looks like Friday, the 17th, is the ONLY day you can't fish them in 2015.

I had one of my more memorable days fishing upper Elk many years ago. There was a fresh layer of snow and the water was cold from snow melt. We parked around I-79 and fished up from there. The water was coming up as the day went by and the sun melted the snow. I think I picked up half a dozen fish in the McKean hole and was fishing from large icebergs out in the middle of the hole. That was until late afternoon, when everything went to chocolate milk and those large icebergs started breaking free and moving downstream. Always wanted to replicate the timing again some year but I rarely make it up in the fall anymore, let alone the spring.

I also fished the lake at Trout Run one crisp April morning. I was hoping to find a few strays left, but saw no fish. I was able to wade out a good hundred yards or so; the water was crystal clear and smooth as glass. Still a beautiful day to be on the lake.

Spring alone is enough to enjoy being outside at this point; any steelhead would be bonus.

One of my best days was this time last year right after ice out by the mouth. Lots of fresh fish and a fair amount of drop backs made for a memorable double digit day! Hope to replicate it this weekend.

Back