Erie Steelhead

T

Tracker

Fished Elk creek for 3 days last week. Water was nice on WED but came down each day and Friday it was low. Fish were very spread out but with some walking were able to find. Surprisingly I found more fish in upper elk. Made the long walk to the bottom at Beckman Rd for the first time. It’s really nice and worth the walk. Most fish were caught at the Rt 90 bridge area.

The beckman rd access is very nice - I enjoy the hike. Apparently some young eagles have taken up residence near one of the better holes.

I fished last Thur and found the Steelhead to be in all of the typical spots. The stretch was about 400 yds long and there were steelhead holding about every 50-70 yards. Most were drop backs and they were pretty beat up. The low water made the steelies easy to find and target.

I fished Elk the last 2 days and the fish are as spooky as I’ve ever seen them. I managed 5 each day but they have been harassed (hooked) so much. Steelhead are known for their fabulous runs that peel line off reels in a split second. They are a very tired and skittish bunch right now.

Last edited:
I fished with a buddy yesterday 2/09 on Crooked Creek and saw very few fish. My buddy hooked one but it took him into a log jam and broke off. I had no hookups.
I’m relatively new to fly fishing for steelhead and attributed my outing to lack of knowledge and experience. Tried multiple fly patterns. Eggs, small nymphs and squirmy worm. Fished mainly the undercut banks, sunken logs, and slower current seams. Maybe had a few light takes based on float dipping under slightly but no hookups.
But what awesome weather for early February. Great day to be out but a fish in the net wudda made it a little sweeter.
That said, we each had a tick crawling on us. Geez I hate those things.

Erie is really all about the flows. If there is water and some color fishing will be good. Low and clear like it is now is as tuff as it gets. Even experienced guys will struggle.

Conditions permitting, I'll be heading to one of the tribs (most likely Elk) for steelhead either the 24th or 25th this month if anyone wants to meet up.

Looking at webcams it appears that the tribs got some water. What is a good cfs discharge for Walnut and Elk? May be fishable Friday?

I was there on monday .... crystal clear, fish staked up in holes .... they are really beat up. looked at Uncle Johns cams this morning ... looked like the Colorado. had no idea where that rain came from, Conneaut in Ashtabeautiful didnt get it as heavy.

Fished Elk upstream of Folly’s End 3/13. Water low 40s, just a hint of murkiness maybe from snowmelt.
Fished a slushy egg, a dark colored wet fly trying to imitate the black stoneflies, but mainly streamers to try and avoid all the smolts. Had one adult steelie pull on the streamer tail, spooked another, and that was about it.
Just a beautiful day for mid March.
FWIW, the Dark Skies slushy egg pattern really looks like a fresh slimy egg. And the bead gets it down fast.

Fished Elk upstream of Folly’s End 3/13. Water low 40s, just a hint of murkiness maybe from snowmelt.
Fished a slushy egg, a dark colored wet fly trying to imitate the black stoneflies, but mainly streamers to try and avoid all the smolts. Had one adult steelie pull on the streamer tail, spooked another, and that was about it.
Just a beautiful day for mid March.
FWIW, the Dark Skies slushy egg pattern really looks like a fresh slimy egg. And the bead gets it down fast.
Hit the same exact stretch of water today.....first time ever on Elk Creek. My first time fishing for steelhead in 40 years of fly fishing 🤷‍♂️😂 LOL
It's kinda fun.
Skinny water....the slate bottom areas is new to me. A lot of sight fishing and spooky pressured fish. I can't imagine how many times these fish get cast to or bumped around.

Had to get "trouty" on them with regular trout type nymphs. Egg flies might as well have been beer cans. They just avoided them....so I switched pretty quick.
And yeah the smolts are tough. You had to try to get a drift through packs of them to get to the steelies. I probably caught 50 of them! And could have caught 1000. LOL
Hooked 8 good steelhead, landed all 8. Biggest was about 27"ish and big around as a football.
Turns out they're just suped up trout.

(And public service announcement.....trying to take a quick picture of yourself with a fat steelhead is almost comical. 2 was plenty. Don't try.... 😂)

PXL 20240314 134745369PORTRAITORIGINAL
PXL 20240314 134831014PORTRAIT
PXL 20240314 114840456
PXL 20240314 114853477
PXL 20240314 151352170
PXL 20240314 151306473
PXL 20240314 152721280

You get the idea 😂 Cut me some slack, these were my first Steelhead so I took some pics LOL

Nice job MJM. I’m new to the steelhead game too. I shudda waited a day and hung out with you. Water was just dingy enough Wednesday that I couldn’t locate the adults before making a cast.
I like that stretch of water, all kinds of places in those shale shelfs for fish to hide.

Water was just dingy enough Wednesday that I couldn’t locate the adults before making a cast.
I like that stretch of water, all kinds of places in those shale shelfs for fish to hide.

That is actually prime conditions. To many guys get hung up with being able to see the fish. Elevated flows will put fish in different spots and you just need to use water reading and experience to find them. It becomes just like most trout fishing in that regard.

That is actually prime conditions. To many guys get hung up with being able to see the fish. Elevated flows will put fish in different spots and you just need to use water reading and experience to find them. It becomes just like most trout fishing in that regard.
Thanks, I thought so too. I was pumped when I got there and saw the water conditions. It was challenging getting good drifts through the holding spots without being bombarded by smolts.
More experience will help me, I’m sure. Hoping for one more shot before they all head to the lake.

The time is ticking fast with the warmer weather best to move west for the fresher fish..

Back