Erie steel. Possible winter mini jam?

jayL

jayL

Bruno asked if anyone was interested in getting in to the steelhead this fall/winter. I am, and I recall some interest from a few others. Should we arrange something? I'd love to get up there to try it, but wouldn't wanna go it alone.

Given enough notice, I could go pretty much any time... preferably an end of week-> weekend thing.

I might be game, but it would have to be after the 2008 licenses go on sale. I didn't by a PA (non-res) license this year, and am not buying one to fish for steelhead for 2 months. I like steelhead fishing, but it is far from my favorite fishing, and the PA tribs are even further down my list. It just aint natural. they stock way to many. Fun once in awhile, but not natural. Not even close.

Edit: I still might consider showing up if you have it this year, I just won't fish. It is fun just to get out, and the crowds can be entertaining. :-D

how long does it take to get there from ,say,philadelphia?

Probably about 6.5 hours without stops.

FarmerDave wrote:
I like steelhead fishing, but it is far from my favorite fishing, and the PA tribs are even further down my list. It just aint natural. they stock way to many.

Enlighten me...My understanding is that these fish are stocked as smolts and run as 2 year (or whatever age) back to the streams where they were released in an attempt to spawn. If I am correct (and this assumption is based only on what I know to be the case in Idaho), this would be very natural even if the originating fish (smolts) were stocked. Am I missing something? Please explain.

Tom, I see it your way, too. The returning Steelhead are closer to wild than they are to stocked. This feeling is emphasized strongly when you jab them with the hook point.

I also read it as the pure numbers that return are "un-natural" in his opinion. Where the truth is that if not over fished, the numbers would be even greater as they are in the west.

I'd be game.

2nd week of november ?

First of all, I admittedly used a poor choice of words (aint natural?), but I didn't think I would need to explain it. Anyone who thinks the PA steelhead fishery is natural, doesn’t get out much (IMHO).

I'll try to explain my opinion (that is all it was).

There are several things that I find that "aint natural"

The numbers are part of it, but it has more to do with the environment.

I wasn't talking about the fish as being un-natural. they are stocked as smolts. In an artificial fishery, that is as natural as you can get in that environment.

I don't find the crowds to be a very "natural" experience (combat fishing). I dislike crowded conditions. I can usually find a small stretch of water to fish, but as soon as you catch one that often changes. If you have to move from your "spot" to fight the fish, there is a good chance someone else will move in. Even if you don’t move, you often get crowded from either side.

I have no doubt that in a west coast natural setting, in a true steelhead stream, the numbers can actually be greater (as you said), but those streams compared to the PA tribs is an apples to oranges comparison (IMHO). The PA tribs for the most part are shale bottom, shallow, and gin clear. If those streams were on the west coast, I seriously doubt they would support anywhere near those numbers. Not natural IMO.

Then you have the fish commission did out holes for people to fish (Walnut Creek). Is that natural? looks like a circle jerk, but I suppose a circle jerk is a natural thing to some people, but not me. And how about that manchaser hole (Manchester hole). i guess that would be a semi-circle jerk since one side is off limits.

An interesting statistic. PA stocks more steelhead smolt than any other state. I believe they stock more than Canada does in their lake Erie tribs. That would be easy enough to look up. They stock more trout in elk Creek, then Ohio stocks in all their streams combined. That may have changed when Ohio bumped up their numbers, but I don’t think it did. Yet PA has the shortest shore line of any of them.

Fishing for steelhead in the PA tribs is like fishing for 5 to 10 pound fish crowded onto a flooded pool table... with 5 other guys targeting the same fish.

All of the fish in those tribs have to run a gauntlet almost constantly during the daylight hours. It doesn't take long for them to shut down with their nose to the bottom. Then they still get molested over and over. People will stand there and cast for the same fish over and over and over until they "hook-up". FISHON!!! Most of it is sight fishing. Because of the shallow and clear water conditions, a large percentage of the fish caught are foul hooked, and it is probably a majority of the fish if you count the ones that are lined. I don't intentionally line fish, but it happens often enough by accident. Do your own study. Next time you go up there, pay attention to which side of the mouth your fish are hooked. If they were hooked on the opposite side from where you were standing, the fish was lined.

I prefer the Ohio tribs. For the most part, they are bigger and have less trout. I feel more like I am fishing, and not just target shooting.

The Pa tribs can still be a fun experience, and everybody should do it at least once, just to see the sheer spectacle. It would be fun to get a group together to go there, especially if some had never been there. We could tour all the popular spots just to see the spectacle before actually hiking to fish.

If that is not a good enough explanation of my opinion, then you will just have to accept that I am still entitled to my opinion and you aren’t going to change it. If one enjoys fighting 5 to 10 pound fish in a bath tub, then Erie is the place. That is my opinion.

By the way Tom, remember the post where you accused me of bragging about speeding? Well, a day or two after that, I almost got my first speeding ticket in over 28 years (OK, that is bragging). Haven't had one since I was a teen, and I drive 30 to 40K miles a year. Does that sound like a habitual law breaker? I was doing about 52 or 53 (45 zone) when I went past a state trooper. He pulled out, but fortunately it was behind the guy who was closing on me in a minivan and he got pinched. Not sure if he would have pinched me or not at that speed without the mini-van being there, but I immediately thought of you.

I once told a co-worker that I like driving through the metro-park on my way to and from work (from my old place) even though it took longer, because it is scenic, and the speed limit is only 35. He said, “yea, but everybody drives faster than that.” I said, not when they are behind me. I have enough stress at work, I don’t need it on the road. The ride home allows me to unwind. My point was, even though I am careful, it is still difficult not to break any laws, and some laws are more serious than others. I still don’t recall anyone ever dying from someone else poaching a few stocked trout. It still isn’t right, but not worth a confrontation.

P.S. Yesterday I took a different route home and thought maybe I ran a stop sign. So I stopped twice at the next one. As it turned out, I didn’t have a stop sign at the first one, so they owe me one.

Thanks for the paragraph breaks!

Without getting too windy about it, I'd have to say I basically agree with Dave. These creeks are not trout streams by any measurement or criteria. They're shale bowling alleys, that have very anemic spring input and often go close to 90F in a hot summer. So far as I know, there are virtually no wild fish produced in the watershed outside of incidental numbers in the nursery streams (Trout and Godfrey Runs) and a modest handful in the Upper Conneaut Creek drainage, which has some suitable habitat. The run is comprised of fish that are wired to spawn anywhere from October to April, a remnant of the genetic lineage from when Elk and 20 Mile were stocked with catchable rainbows mixed in with the newer smolts raised by 3CU, etc. Nobody really knows why any given fish shows up. The numbers of fish in the system far, far exceed the capacity of the hosting streams, if somehow, we were able to briefly suspend reality and actually view them as "natural" habitat. That is to say, if all of the tribs were fully self-sustaining steelhead fisheries, I doubt all together they'd produce 1/10 of the number of fish poured through them in a given year.

The whole thing is pretty much a created zoo.

But that doesn't of necessity make it "bad". I've spent a lot of happy hours chasing steelhead in these creeks. But it isn't very real. It's an entertaining fishery and the only place in Pennsylvania where you can say with a straight face that you didn't do all that well having only landed 5 fish over 5 lb that day.

But it's about as far from a natural fishery as you can get and not be casting against the backdrop of the hatchery visitor's center.

That's my view, anyway...

Shakey,

I'd be willing to split gas from Philly. I'm out between 44th and 45th streets.... On the other side of Penn. Either one of us could drive.

Second week of november would be good for me. Then again, any week is good for me.

I beleive you can get next years license on Dec. 1st. I think I did it that way with Lake Erie combo stamp.

FarmerDave wrote:

If that is not a good enough explanation of my opinion, then you will just have to accept that I am still entitled to my opinion and you aren’t going to change it.

No, I'd say that was plenty...

but I immediately thought of you.

That's so sweet of you ;-)

acristickid wrote:
I beleive you can get next years license on Dec. 1st. I think I did it that way with Lake Erie combo stamp.

I am pretty sure you are correct and is what I was planning on doing. It is definitely the way it used to be. However, the license for the year when they raised the rates was not available until Jan 1. That was the last time I checked on that. I figured it was probably safe to assume they went back to offering them on Dec 1 and making them good for 13 months. They took a lot of grief that one December.

Jack, I hadn't read that thread when I wrote that, but thanks.

Tom, you're still not getting my Bud Light. Besides, I'm still boycotting them over the Letrobe thing.

hey jay,small world.i play at 45th and locust(fiume,upstairs at abbyssinia) every sunday night,and every thursday at 40th and spruce(copa).i have to be in philadelphia thursdays and sunday and monday nights.

so that cuts into the schedule.and kind of stinks,but on the other hand it is kinda silly to drive seperate cars from philly to erie.let me know.

Sorry Dave, I'm an old school Miller High life guy. Although I have been buying some Canadian lately. Hey, they come in a 28 pack!

Second week of november is the only suggested date.... Who wants to do it? I'd probably be able to leave on a wednesday afternoon and fish until about noon sunday.

Anyone?

I would be interested in going the second week on Nov. I was planning on going the first week of Oct. but my mandatory training was cancelled. It was basically going to be a free trip up there, I am glad that it was after the lack of movement/rain.

Back