equipment FOR OPENING DAY

V

VINNYT

What flies should i be using i heard shartruse wollybuggers ( im going to peters creek the one by tackle unlimited ) also what size tippet should i use i was thinking shartruse wolly buggers,large egg patterns and 3x or 4x because the off colored water :-? .

thanks
vinny t

Vinny,

Your on the right track. I'd add some big (#6 or #8) stonefly nymphs to your fly list and some San Juan Worms. Maybe a few different colors of Wooly Bugger. Chartreuse is good, but add black, white, and olive and you should be all set for opening day.

green weenie

thanks for the help i tyed up a bunch of green wenies san juan worms and like 25 wolly buggers also what would be a good stone fly imitation?

thanks
vinny

also would size 10 work? thats the bigest hook i have right now.

Vinny,

A gold ribbed hares ear or a prince nymph in a size 10 would probably serve you well if you know how to tie these. There are more specific stonefly patterns, but its awfully close to opening day already...

Vinny,
From a fly standpoint you should be good to go. Remember Jack M's saying "trout are dumb". I am not familiar with Peters creek but I know my biggest problem is getting the fly down. Its going to be cold tomorrow and these fish will be hugging the bottom. They won't really move for your fly....especially with every other angler throwing bait at them. The fish are going to be pretty shell shocked at about 0800 hours tomorrow. So throw some shot on your line, don't be afraid of losing a few flies and bounce the bottom the reset is up to the fish :-o .

Let us know how you did.
-Ryan

A little flask of Italian wine or Jim Beam may be a good piece of equipment for tomorrow!!

littlejuniata wrote:
A little flask of Italian wine or Jim Beam may be a good piece of equipment for tomorrow!!

Thanks for the terrific idea! Foolishly I agreed to meet some "meat-chucking" friends and my brother at like 6:30 AM tomorrow. The forecast says it ought to be about 31 degrees at that point. Hey, but the winds will be calm! I happen to have a half-pint of Jim Beam with a couple missing swigs that just may have to find its way into my vest. Can the WCO cite you for WUI (Wading Under the Influence)?

Oh, by the way, another great piece of equipment for tomorrow is a handful of plastic shopping bags to stuff in your vest. Take a few moments to clean up any careless messes you see, or share a bag with a group that seems to need a litter bag.

littlejuniata wrote:

To bad im only 12 lol.

Thanks alot for all the good ideas im going to tie up some flies and put some shoping bgs in my vest i like that idea!

Thanks alot for all the good ideas im going to tie up some flies and put some shoping bags in my vest i like that idea!

Vinnyt You are in charge of the snow shovel. Jack have a good day, don't worry about cathing fish. The first swig should be about 5 minutes before the first cast

The "equipment" i will be using tomorrow will be a Stihl MS361 and an 8 pound splitting maul. I'll enjoy every minute. Later in the day, I will be donning the tall rubber boots, and switching to a flat shovel, and a wheel barrow. That won't be so much fun. It's a farmer thing. ;-)

Good luck fishing everyone.

I wonder what grampap would think of those two wheel wheelbarrows? Hope you have a nice sharp Plumb axe!!

littlejuniata wrote:
I wonder what grampap would think of those two wheel wheelbarrows? Hope you have a nice sharp Plumb axe!!

I don't know, but I bet he would have loved my chainsaw. :-D

He sure would have, we cut with one of those long two man saws, used to have my Plumb axe sharp enough to shave hair on my arm, do they still make a good axe?

Back