EP fiber alternative

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

While messing around with poly yarn for parachute posts, I stumbled upon a hank of material that I had bought called "widow's web." I had been considering buying some "EP" fibers to tie bass flies or other streamers for a while, but never bought them because they're so expensive. Well I realized after working with the widow's web that it's pretty much the same thing! Except that it costs $2.45 a pack instead of $6.15 a pack! So now I can mess around with "EP" style streamer patterns and spend less than half the money. Here's a first attempt at a sunnie:

20140304_101754.jpg

Probably could have tied it on a larger hook - the hook is a little buried in the fibers. But other than that I think it should fish. Looking forward to warmer weather.

i think congo hair is also a substitute and even cheaper

http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/Materials/synthetichair.htm

I bought a bunch of that congo hair and never used it. I may try and tie up some baitfish for my Florida trip.

Yellow Widows Web makes a great parachute post. I'm nearly out of the hunk my mentor, Fred Bridge, gave me years ago. Where did you pick yours up?
Thanks.
Matt

thin it out more, should be able to see through the material slightly

sandfly wrote:
thin it out more, should be able to see through the material slightly

+1
A lot more.

Thin it out a bit and you'll be fine.
I have about a dozen or so different colors and types of EP fibers. I love the stuff. I use Gamakatsu SL45 hooks which are actually bonefish hooks.

I use Congo Hair all the time. The price is right. If you google the Ohio fly fish site, it has a great SBS on tying this type of fly.

Using this material is like dubbing. Take the amount you think you need and split it in half. Then split that in half again and you have the right amount.

Tried to go a little thinner on this sunfish. Also, I had a crazy idea to use some of the rust colored fibers as claws on a crayfish pattern.

20140313_113026.jpg

@nfrechet - thanks for the link to congo hair. I'll have to try it out when I need some more colors. Can't beat $1.75 a pack, especially for the "baitfish" blends they sell. It also looks like congo hair is probably longer than widow's web - the description says 10" on each side, 20" total. Widow's web is more like 6"/12 total. If I ever wanted to tie some really massive streamers that would be the stuff to do it with.

Great looking Flies! The crayfish is killer.

Back