Environmental Health Invasive species angler demand paradox.

Fish Sticks

Fish Sticks

I thought this article brings up an interesting observation. In general invasive fish species are often larger predators and sometimes more aggressive than native species. Their presence has often created demand for them that is counter to the goals of environmental health even though doing habitat work or stocking them is often falsely labeled as conservation.

Native multi species restorations seem to have some of the most wide reaching benefits that ripple through the ecosystem in a good way. For example if you remove a barrier and restore runs of river herring in Maine harbor seals increase but predatory pressure on endangered Atlantic salmon simultaneously decreases. Lampreys can pass upstream which dig redds that co-evolved Atlantic salmon have used to increase spawning success historically. The species that evolved together function together sustainably.

I fish for invasive species, I don’t propagate or promote them, but I fish for them and I enjoy fishing for them just like most everyone else. There are many watersheds its just not feasible to do a native multi species restoration for and we will continue have opportunities for fishing for invasive species in these degraded environments. But some more public awareness of the benefits of restoring coevolved native species at watershed or subwatershed scale would go along way towards pushing PA fish and boat to do that in a few select places like many other states have.

Thats terrible, smallies are showing up in the rapid river our near rangley ME I heard and the miramachi river eating Atlantic salmon smolting I think. Their everywhere. I am seeing more and more links to blue catfish and blue claw/striper decline in the bay.
Its shock after shock to the system in so many places.

Back