Entemology books

T

trew13

Can anyone suggest a good detailed book on entemology with
detailed pictures of multiple life stages?

1. Mayflies by Ted Fauceglia would be a good one to use to study mayflies. I find it to be very useful.
2. Thomas Ames's Caddisflies is really detailed for caddisses. This is actually above and beyond what you need -- at least what I need.
3. Though the little Pocket Guide to PA's Hatches isn't full of detailed photos of various stages of each fly's life, it is a useful guide, IMO.

rrt wrote:
1. Mayflies by Ted Fauceglia would be a good one to use to study mayflies. I find it to be very useful.

There have been other threads, do you find it as good as they have?

Yes. I think it's top notch for mayflies.

Well, not a book, and you might be already well aware of it.

But troutnut.com is an excellent resource for what you're looking for. Breaks it down by taxonomy, lots of pictures, lists the various common names (and ranks them) for each species, etc.

Very detailed book that I used while at PSU was Aquatic Entomology by McCafferty

Since they have not been mentioned I would add Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine. Very detailed. However; you might wish to read it when your having trouble sleeping because it is alittle difficult to read.

And Hatches II by Caucci and Nastasi.

Might want to check your library instead of buying- you can always check them out for a 2 weeks a year. I could see reading them more than that in any single year.

gfen wrote:
rrt wrote:

There have been other threads, do you find it as good as they have?

Ya, it's really kick *** a book that I feel spans from beginner to pretty advanced. The photos are amazing particularly the emerger and cripple photos. The only flaw I see in it is some of the fly recipes don't jive with the photo. I found a few instances where fibbets are recommended yet the photo is showing an antron tailing material.

jdaddy wrote:
Ya, it's really kick *** a book that I feel spans from beginner to pretty advanced. The photos are amazing particularly the emerger and cripple photos. The only flaw I see in it is some of the fly recipes don't jive with the photo. I found a few instances where fibbets are recommended yet the photo is showing an antron tailing material.

I'm hard pressed to get excited abotu a book of fly recipes, or anything that's not gonna wow me. This book comes up as being a particuarly good book because of its quality of photography, including things like you said, the misfit flies.

I'm going to be forced to purchase this, because it sounds like its got the right sort of appeal.

gfen wrote:
jdaddy wrote:

I'm hard pressed to get excited abotu a book of fly recipes, or anything that's not gonna wow me. This book comes up as being a particuarly good book because of its quality of photography, including things like you said, the misfit flies.

I'm going to be forced to purchase this, because it sounds like its got the right sort of appeal.

A lot of folks are very excited about this book. I only had a few minutes to flip through it last night at TCO.

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_HenrysBook.cfm

Back